Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:08 PM   #1

Hey, I just got back from the wildlife refuge and posted some pictures on the Wildlife forum. When you have a chance or the desire, wonder over and check them out. Let me know what you think. What a beautiful day to visit such an incredible place.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:20 PM   #2

Great stuff smac.

Wish I could get shots like that.

Nice work...:|

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:47 PM   #3

Thanks bobc,

There is so much going on over there it's hard to focus (no pun intended). I was taking some shots of the Shoveler when something caught the corner of my eye. It was an orange raccoon. I did't even know they came in other flavors. But before I could swing my camera around and focus it ran back into the cat tails. Man I would have loved to have gotten a shot of that. Huh! Orange, who knew. :?:
smac
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:17 PM   #4

EXCELLENT!!! These are my favorites - in order:

1. Lesser Egret
2. The Malard amongst the Geese
and
3. Lesser Snowy Egret death stare

Weather looks b-eautiful there, rainy, dreary here.
You got me California dreaming on such a winter's day.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:29 PM   #5

Nice shots, smacman. Particularly the hawk. Was it cropped? How close were you?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 7:58 PM   #6

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots, smacman.** Particularly the hawk.* Was it cropped?* How close were you?
Only a slight crop. Maybe 20%. He landed about 30-40 yards away. I used 12x optical zoom. No digital zoom. I had the camera set to the second to the highest resolution for all shots. After looking at bobc's post about how there was virtually no difference in visual quality I changed my setting so that I could get an extra 90 pictures on my SD card.

smac
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:12 PM   #7

smac wrote:
Quote:
I had the camera set to the second to the highest resolution for all shots. After looking at bobc's post about how there was virtually no difference in visual quality I changed my setting so that I could get an extra 90 pictures on my SD card.

smac
Did you change the PICT. SIZE or QUALITY Setting?

My post was refering to the QUALITY setting. Fine vs Standard. I stated that there was very little difference between the two.

You should use the highest PICT. SIZE Setting if you intend to crop. or print large.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:05 PM   #8

bobc,
Actually I did reverse the two. I understand what you mean. My brain just did what it wanted. Fortunately I don't intend on doing much cropping or large picture printing with this batch. And, since this is all a big happy learning adventure I will switch the settings so that next time the Quality will be standard and the Pict Size set at its highest.
Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes I get so excited I don't check things as carefully as I should. Today I got all the way to the refuge (40 miles) when I realized that I had left my second SD card at home. Doh!
Fortunately I had three batteries so that wasn't going to be a problem. Good thing it doesn't seem to have affected the picture quality too much this time.
Thanks again for all your help and advice.

smac
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:47 PM   #9

well better late than never!!!! i just woke up LOL...

smac..looks like you had a great time to day.sun was bright and what a nice collation of photos.congratz on all.I just love the shot of the cazillon=(lots) birds on the lake.and the hawk thats sweet too.orange raccoon ok!!! please tell me that you didn't accidentally eat the wrong kind of mushrooms.-jk-i bet that was a treat just to see one.great job smac, and post more when you go back........

Willow

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:25 PM   #10

Thanks Willow,

Those were some of the best out about 150 shots.
O-R-A-N-G-E. I kid you not! I thought it was some kind of giant mutant feral cat at first. It was the wierdest raccoon I've ever seen. Crazy!

To be sure, I will post more over the coming weeks. The water fowl are just starting to show up in big numbers. I understand that about 4 million will come down the Pacifice Flyway and through Calif.

smac