Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:48 PM   #1

well this is quite ajob here ...but lots of fun.. this is a knew world for me it's like looking through a microscope at 10x...it's so hard to fine willing subjects that can be patient with me fumbling around like a blind man on a photo op.....
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:54 PM   #2

this is my first shot ...comments are very much welcomed....
this one i call inner space ...a part of my dreams manifested
in reality...a small step for man
a gaint leap for mankind
e:
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:05 PM   #3

my next shot was of this california honey bee..he waited patiently for me to take the shot but finaly became impatient with my fumbling around with the apeture and the f stop and the exsposer..and the focus and started to chase me around the yard buzzing around my ears.. i had to seek shelture in the workshop..i waited for him to leave hoping that he would not signal the africanized bees that hung out in the next yard,that there was fresh meat on the line
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:13 PM   #4

this is were i found my true friend...some one who had the patience ..the knowledge and the forsite to leap at the opportunity to become a true star..this little fellow tryed to mate with my fz10 which i watch in amazement..then he tryed to get a little to chummy with my nose.. as he thought that was a good place to take his next dump...
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:58 PM   #5

Lookin good, jazzmaster. You might help yourself some by backing off on the zoom to 6x or so in the beginning. It is quite a bit easier to focus at lower zooms and you can still get some excellent shots that way. As you become more profficient you can gradually increase the zoom and getsharp focus though the dof is extremely limited at higher zooms as you have found out. Keep in mind that framing the shot is more important than using the maximum zoom power of the camera. Looking forward to seeing more shots.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:30 PM   #6

thanks fred ......it's hit and miss with me ...i'm almost blind ....54 years blind but i can't get myself to wear glasses...i hate them they don't seem to help me any way...most of the shots i took were at the point were i would just remove the tunnel vision..(vignette) then i try to grab a focus then klick...it's fun i need to get me a good flash for doing the super macro..
i'm adjusting my exposer ...i'm using f8 for the apeture with various speeds of 125 to 250 with out a flash .wind picked up a bit and had to call it a day....
darn this engwish langusge is another obstacle i have to herdle....i gave my cateract a tune up this mourning...change the oyl tooooo...lol
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:06 AM   #7

Great stuff jazz. This is going to work well for you. Love the colours in this first shot andgood comps.

Have to agree with Fred. Back off a little more, give yourself some room to try different angles. There are two types of macro and thats the full view and moving right in. Its the old story of wallk, before you run. Set up some flowers inside and practise. Inside is where we learn so much. Most make the mistake of trying to get to higher ratio to start with. That takes time and patience.My camera is locked on F/8. It never really comes of that. Spot meter, manual focus by holding down the shutter button half way and then move backward or forward until I see sharp focus, then finally push the shutter button the rest of the way. Old habits. For flash I normally use just the inbuilt flash. That I adjust a fair bit as I move around and depending on the sun. I prefer to shoot on overcast days. Eyes, ha, mine are getting old too :-), you are not alone. Ialways use the EVF though and I'm also trying to avoid using glasses, I need them fro reading now though, LOL.

Give yourself a ton of practise is about the best advice I guess. Be truly stubborn with it and try those inside shots, even things like a toothbrush, needles matches, etc. Thats where we learn about DOF, selective focus, camera settings, lighting, etc. It does take time jazz, no doubt about it but it sure is rewarding at the end of the day.

All the best jazz, looking good so far and looking forward to more. :|

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:20 AM   #8

Yes NZ that depth of field is very hard to achieve with the macro...thanks for the helpful comments i have a few question to ask about the settings as far as the macro setting the asm setting or the p setting which one do you prefer when using the macro...i was mixing them up depending on the light...
i just wish i had another shot at that bee...he let me take 3 shots before he became annoyed with me....they can become very aggressive..
thanks for the help guys
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:06 AM   #9

Yes you guy's have much more aggressive bee's and wasp's than us, thats for sure. You keep them ok :-)The eyes of the fly look great in that shot of yours, so you know what you have is sharp jazz. So is the panasonic lens. I've never had the FZ10 on the macro mode yet jazz.

I switch between aperture priority and full manual, similar to what you are trying. Never auto focus though. Lets look at using the flash.

On an overcast day (which I prefer), I use theinbuilt flash at around +1 to +2. In the sun I use the flash on -1 to -2. Now comes the tricky part. I spot meter on the background, lock the settings with the shutter button at half way, then go back to the subject and use the flash on that.

The reason is to let the sun expose the background and the fill flash to take care of the subject.So its all just using the inbuilt flash. I have 5 external flash units, some real strange ones, but for the FZ10, I've found the inbuilt flash does a fine job for macro IHMO. Hang on I should have an example from today.............

Ok, this little hoverfly is a good example of exposure for the background and using flash for the fly. So the background is spot metered for the sun, then I lock the shutter button down half way, back to the fly, then let the fill flash at -2 to take care of the fly itself. The flash has stopped the fly and the front feet grooming, while the sun has done a good job on the background. I hope that all makes sense. :-)

All the best jazz and yes,move back wider for practice as Fred said. Once you get the hang of it, then you can start moving in. Give it time though.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:40 AM   #10

I just wanted to reiterate a couple of things Danny mentioned:

Quote:
I always use the EVF
This adds a considerabledegree of stability to the camera - holding it close to your body with your elbows locked in tight. While being always true, it is particularly so with super macro shots where the slightest movement throws the focus off. Of course, the chance for bee stings and snake bites can preempt that choice of viewing.

Quote:
I spot meter on the background, lock the settings with the shutter button at half way, then go back to the subject and use the flash on that.
Danny, this sounds like an interesting technique. I havent tried it but soon will.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote