Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 1, 2004, 4:21 AM   #1

Hi all. A quick question please. Had my FZ3 a couple of weeks - still very very happy with it. Would like the MC filter/lens to add as protection. My local panasonic dealer says cant get one. The uk panasonic eshop doesnt even seem to list the camera at all!! But.......... I noticed while browsing the eshop that under FZ1 accessories is listed DMW-LMC55E - an MC lens. I'm reasonably convinced that this will fit the FZ3 too ( it seems to be the same serial no!) But would appreciate a confirmation from anyone who has got/seenboth cameras with this lens. Thanks.
shirleywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:55 AM   #2

Given that the fz1 and fz3 have the same lens and both have 55mm adapters, the dmw-lmc55e should work equally wellwith either camera.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:01 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. A slightly different thought has occurred to me. I am having great trouble tracking down the Panasonic ( own brand) MC filter here in the uk. But I wonder if other makes / brands will fit and work just as well? Last night I asked at a local camera store ( but unfortunately didnt have my FZ3 with me- and the shop didnt sell Panasonics - so we were talking "blind"!!) They waffled on about "sizes" - 55mm but also "threads" ................ I said to them that "55mm"sounded correct but that my FZ3 didnt have "threads" but was a "bayonet" fitting ( I was hoping that I was using the correct terminology..........! ) They conferred and then said " sounds like the Hassleblad"to us!!! At that point I sort of backed out of the shop gracefully and thought I'd return to my forum friends for advice!! I suppose at the end of the day I should take my FZ3 into a "decent" phography shop and ask them to fit an MC filter for me!!?? Sorry to be such a "newbie"!! The FZ3 is an amazing camera - still cant believe the resultstaking indoor shots but without flash!!!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:36 PM   #4

OK. So this post is to prove how incredibly stupid I am!!! ( But perhaps might just help a newbie out there?! - my only excuse really!!) My original post was about attaching an MC filter to my FZ3. ( Thanks to this forum I now understand that a UV is also ok - to act as protection for the superb lens) Now, the picture in the manual (P101) shows the lens hood adaptor attached to the camera - and MC / ND filters - with a vague "arrow" pointing in the direction of the camera. The picture does not show the "threads" on the inside of the adaptor tube. In my complete innocence ( ok -stupidity) I thought filters had to be attached "over the outside" - ie using the "bayonet" kinda fitting on the outside of the adaptor !!?? ( The one that the supplied lens hood attaches to!! The so-called experts at the camera shop I first talked to didnt really help at all - it took a kind expert at a second London shop to talk me though things.

So - although I feel very stupid - my ignorance is slowly disappearing!! Another thought has just occurred though - when fitting ( ie screwing) a filter into the adaptor do you try and just handle by the edges? But if so - how do you screw it all the way in? Or do you "screw first" using fingers(!) and then clean the filter up later?? Sorry to appear so ignorant - these are the sorts of issues that sometimes can get taken for granted - but manuals etc dont always deal with the "practicalities"!! Thanks all.