Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:17 AM   #1

First of all, my only base of knowledge is from the world of film, so I need to be "enlightened" about a few things in regards to the FZ3.... Forgive me if these questions are a bit "dumb".

I understand I need to get a 55 mm UV filter to protect my lense. Let me get this straight: I need to have that thing on the camera at ALL times? Can I still put the lense cap onOVER it? Or do I take the filter off each time I put the cap back on? (Trying to picture this... )

Next question: how do you exactly get the pictures developed at drop-off services? Do you give them your memory card? What if there are 100 pics on there and you only want to develop 30? Can you put them on a CD and then get them developed? Do you lose quality/resolution that way? How does that work?

Finally: from the wonderful advice here, I've read that "winkflash.com" is a top-notch online service for also getting pics. BUT, what I'm still a little confused over is WHICH outlet would provide me the best outcome on print? Would I get better quality at say Walgreens and Sam's? Or at Winkflash.com?

Thanks for clueing me in... :idea:

Maryanne
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 4:07 PM   #2

maryanne wrote:
Quote:
First of all, my only base of knowledge is from the world of film, so I need to be "enlightened" about a few things in regards to the FZ3.... Forgive me if these questions are a bit "dumb".
... no need to "forgive" anything, your questions aren't dumb.

Quote:
I understand I need to get a 55 mm UV filter to protect my lense.¬* Let me get this straight: I need to have that thing on the camera at ALL times? Can I still put the lense cap on¬*OVER it?
... you don't really "have" to use a UV filter... it's just a good idea to protect the lens. Yes, you put the lens cap right over the filter. No need to take it on and off.

Quote:
Next question: how do you exactly get the pictures developed at drop-off services? Do you give them your memory card? What if there are 100 pics on there and you only want to develop 30? Can you put them on a CD and then get them developed? Do you lose quality/resolution that way? How does that work?
In photo shops I use the kiosk. They are VERY easy to use, and the instructions guide you right through the process. You put your sd card in the slot... follow the instructions. You will see thumbnails and you select the ones you want to print. I also ->think<- you can print from a CD, though I never tried it. No, you won't have to worry about losing image quality.

After the first time, you will see how easy it is, and never worry about it again. It's no harder than using an ATM machine, though there is that 1st time apprehension.

Quote:
Finally: from the wonderful advice here, I've read that "winkflash.com" is a top-notch online service for also getting pics. BUT, what I'm still a little confused over is WHICH outlet would provide me the best outcome on print? Would I get better quality at say Walgreens and Sam's? Or at Winkflash.com?
There's a debate about this... some say on-line, others say Walmart, some say no difference. Personally, I like to print from my photo inkjet. I can sharpen the image, adjust the colors, and have generally more control. From a cost standpoint, though, it's probably a wash between the cost of the ink and the paper. It's also much more convenient than driving to Sam's Club, or waiting for prints to arrive in the mail. There's excellent photo inkjets for $100 out there (all good, just stay away from Lexmark - imo). I think this is the best way to print because of convenience and control (and fun) but others would disagree. Try both and decide your personal preference.

Nick

¬*

[/quote]
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:20 AM   #3

You made a good choice.. Have lots of fun with your new found joy..

I read somewhere that even the simplest of devices can be used to create the most spectacular pics.. its how you use it.. and of course beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder..snap away and do share with us the pics...
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:52 AM   #4

Thanks Nick and Fireworkz for the advice and encouragement. I think I'll manage well. Just can't wait to get that little baby in my hands!! I really want to play around with it BEFORE the holidays so I'll maybe know "what I'm doing" before then. :-)

Maryanne

maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:15 AM   #5

maryanne wrote:
Quote:
how do you exactly get the pictures developed at drop-off services? Do you give them your memory card? What if there are 100 pics on there and you only want to develop 30? Can you put them on a CD and then get them developed? Do you lose quality/resolution that way? How does that work?
Photo printing kiosks are becoming quite ubiquitous in department stores and drug stores. The two big name print machines are Kodak and Fuji. Some (usually Kodak) print right at the machine without the need for clerk assistance and take about 10 minutes (and are often limited to 8x10 prints). Others require clerk assistance and can take up to an hour or more depending on the work load. Both types acceptmost any memory card and many acceptcds andcomputer (A-drive) disketts. Some use glossy paper while others use satin or matte. There can be a lot of variation in color rendition so you might want to try some different kiosks to see which one you like. Office Maxhas an Olympus Camedia printer that gives good color. I also got good results at Target which uses a Fuji. I've been dissapointed in the Kodak color but all the machines have to be calibrated. There is some room for color enhancement by the customer right at the machine. But as I say, color can vary cosiderably and most times will be beyond your control.

You insert the card (or cd/diskette) and choose the images you want printed (select all is an option) and the size of the prints. Size is where you run into problems. The vast majority of digicam images are ofthe ratio 4x3 as in 1600x1200 pixels or 6x4.5 inches.It is therfore necessary to crop off a half inchof the original image on the 4.5" side. This can be done at the kiosk by the customer or automatically by the machine. (I think it crops off 1/4" from both sides.) You dont have alot of control there. I would suggest croppin the image to the correct size ahead of time at your computer so you have more control and then save that cropped image to your memory card. Make sure you rename the cropped image so you dont loose the original. The kiosk will recognize any file name. (Your camera, however, will only recognize a certain format.) Another option that I prefer since I generally like to print the original image is to copy and paste the original (in my case) 1600x1200 pixel image to a new white image sized 1800x1200 pixels. When 4x6 prints are made at the kiosk you will have a white portion (2/3 inch) to cut off. Your final print size will be 4x5.333 inches. The same technique can be used when ordering prints online. (I haven't beensatisfied with the color of online prints.)

FYI, 8x10 prints at the kiosk will crop 2/3" off the 10 side; 5x7's will crop 1/4" off the 5 side.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote