Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:04 AM   #1

Finally got to use my Raynox. I unfortunately just shot the pic now at about 4:30am, so the moon was pretty high in the sky. I would love to be able to snap a photo when the moon looks really large, but this is the only time I had and reading these forums almost every day makes me want to become a photographer. This picture I used the Raynox 2020pro with the FZ20 at full zoom. I then cropped out some of the blackness and I sharpened it in PSE:
Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:05 AM   #2

This is the same picture but with the digital zoom at full (48x):
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:14 AM   #3

Nice shot! You may be surprised to learn that the image size of the moon when it is high in the sky is exactly the same as when it LOOKS so large down near the horizon. This phenomenon is called the Moon Illusion and has been studied for some time by psychologists. Of course, the COLOR of the moon appears quite different when it is near the horizon.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:45 AM   #4

The Raynox 2020 looks like it does a very nice job by the pictures you took. Would or could it be possible that you post the picture before it was post-processed?
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:48 AM   #5

Terrific shots, Nancy... the Raynox really seems to be a telescope. Beautiful, nice color, depth, contrast, and detail. The image hold up well using the digital zoom (which gets a bad rap sometimes... it isn't "worthless" - just not as good as optical.)

Are you a night bird or an early riser? :G
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:27 AM   #6

I'm usually up all night, Nick. Unless I am in a warm climate like when I used to live in Cali, then I was up with the sun! Here's the photo with no cropping or retouching, just the resize (12x):
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:56 AM   #7

Fantastic shots Nancy!!!

It's the best moon shot (the first one) that I've seen in this forum....

BTW: I saw your picture on the Nick post (lets get to know each other)...you look really great, gorgeous....you bring me back memories of my ex-girlfriend.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:39 PM   #8

Nancy,
Very nice picture of the moon. Actually you caught the moon at it optimum location for photos. Low on the horizon tends to blur the details because of atmospheric distortions. The pretty brownish red color is due to pollution and other atmospheric particulates.
Bill Porters right. The apparent larger size of the moon is mainly due to the fact that close to the horizon you have terrestrial reference points that you compare the moon to. You also get a slight magnification due to the "lense" effect of the Earth's atmohphere distorting the apparent size of the moon.

Bottom line is, You got some great shots of the Moon at the perfect location in the sky. I would be interested to see how the Raynox does during the daylight on terrestrial objects. Thanks and keep us posted won't you?

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:57 PM   #9

That is absolutely the best moon shot I have seen thus far!!!

I am jelious...:sad:

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:48 PM   #10

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote