Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:17 PM   #1

I know the FZ3 doesn't have a hot show, so can I get one of these? How much would it be, and how do they work?
wt888usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:22 PM   #2

A slave flash attaches with a bracket (basically a 4-6" metal strip with a non-hotshoe at one end) to the tripod hole. The slave is activated by the onboard flash. Vivitar df120 and df200 and Phoenix d91 and d92 are good choices; $35 - $100. Google search for those models.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:45 PM   #3

I was hoping to find a flash that can be "pivoted" upwards so I can make bounce flashes for better looking interior pictures of people and such. do these flashes do that? if not, is there any real benefit of having one as opposed to using the pop up that comes with the camera?
wt888usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:31 PM   #4

wt888usa wrote:
Quote:
I was hoping to find a flash that can be "pivoted" upwards so I can make bounce flashes for better looking interior pictures of people and such. do these flashes do that?
Yes, there are slave flashes that do that. Yes, there is real benefit w/a slave flash, as they are more powerful than the camera's flash, and can be moved away from the camera so that you can illuminate things that are either too far away from the camera, or not directly in front of the camera.

Besides the bracket mentioned above, some of these flashes come w/a small tripod to support the flash independently from the camera.

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:16 PM   #5

I posted some sample photos on this thread using the the Vivitar DF200. I never leave home (shooting indoors) without it... I use an FZ-1, which has a weaker flash than the rest.

The DF200 swivels vertically for bounce shots, and along the horizontal acess as well. It's head extends outward, providing 4 settings for a wide or narrow flash beam. It's a great flash imo, though the build quality isn't the best I've seen. It comes with a bracket and a little mini tripod. Highly recommeded, goes for around $60 on Amazon.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ighlight=df200

I also would highly recommend buying an L-bracked ($15-$20), carried at most camera stores, or on-line. It raises the flash above the camera. This seems to have really cut down the incidence and severity of red-eye. It also provides a nice grip that really helps steady the camera.

Might look a little strange with the FZ-3, since it's a full-sized flash - bigger than the camera but who cares?

- The only thing to be mindful of is that other camera's flashes will set off your flash! This hasn't really been any issue for me but it's worth mentioning. It's also worth mentioning that the Phoenix 91 and 92are the exact same flash units as the Vititars. So don't spend time researching each individual. If you've seen the Phoenix 91, you've also seen the DF200.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:41 AM   #6

Just wanted to let you know, a high power slave flash can let you stay at iso 100, which help keep noise down. I can take a flash picture at 50 feet at iso 100.The slave can be put on a tripod,a stand or hand held and can be placed at different locations. Fired from above, below or to the side, gives varying effects.
Russ@onondaga is offline   Reply With Quote