Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:43 AM   #1

I just got my FZ20 about a week ago and took this opportunity today to test out the OIS and AF under what I would call tough conditions. Dark, overcast windy day; riding at 70 mph on a no-so-smooth freeway, shooting the car ahead, handheld, through the windshield, at 12X zoom with auto focus and see if I could even get a picture that resembles what the car looked like. The results are below and I think the FZ20 came through with flying colors, not necessarily for picture quality (see settings) but for the OIS and AF action. I blurred out the license just for privacy of the owner (unknown) but it is easy to read the Support Our Troops sticker and the license plate frame info. There doesn't seem to be a hint of a double or blurred image. The camera was set at ISO 400, f4.6 @1000, shutter speed priority, mode 2 OIS, image settings std except for low noise. Needless to say I am pleased. Here's the photo, uncropped - post processed in PS only for gaussian blur and size.
P.S. I wasn't driving.
:-)
Attached Images

Jering is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 5:25 AM   #2

Jering...

I hope you not upset at mefor posting this cleaned ver. of your test shot. if you are tell me and i will remove it..

I thought it would help in demonstrating how you canrestore a photo if its of value to you..

I used

noiseware - removed noise

paint shop pro 9- unsharp mask

paint shop pro9 - clarify

very much worthy for printing

Willow

Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:57 AM   #3

Interesting test. Thanks for posting.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:59 AM   #4

Wow! Willow you did a great job on this picture. Being relatively new to digital I didn't know it could be so good. Can the same be done in Photoshop? Where did you get this noise reduction program? (I suppose everybody has already beat that question to death, but forgive me, I'm new. Thanks)

I, too, would like to share with my condolences. The pain will pass, never go away, but it will lessen. My prayers are with you. I lost my Dad unexpectedly when I was 27 (he was only 58). It has been many years now and memories only grow fonder.
Jering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:09 AM   #5

THe "Community" noiseware edition is freeware:

http://www.imagenomic.com/

They also have a NON free plug-in for PSP and PS

And I too use the clatify/ USM combo in PSP all the time for a quick

way to bring out the subject without losing too much detail

Nice Job

DeliLama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:56 PM   #6

Jering,

thx for the kind words about my dad.and and about yours...you know my pain...

Glad your not upset about the photo...and yes you can get the same results with PS

i do like the "clarify" in PSP and the THe "Community" noiseware edition is freeware

great program.......just experiment with PS...I always make a copy of the original file

when doing any post editing - just in case i goof up...

just keep :|

good luck, Willow

Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:12 PM   #7

willow1. Have you tried pait shop pro 9's noise removal yet? It works great IMO.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:18 PM   #8

hay bob

i have used the noise remover in psp 9 and i think i like noiseware a little better.it seems to take away just a little to much detail...i had plained to do some testing with the setting to see if i could get the results i like.it is nice having it right there.So for now i just copy and paste to and from noisware....thx for reminding me bro...:G

Willow