Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:53 PM   #11

I bought the FZ10 sight unseen and loved it, so when the FZ20 came out, I had to have it, too. I love it even more. I have toyed with the thought of selling the FZ10, but I haven't been able to part with it so far. They are both great in my opinion, although the FZ20 does focus faster and has a stronger flash.
Bierbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Other than that he could by all means order me one in but he had no idea what it would be like having only every tried the FZ10 before , and that he wasn't to impressed with that, and suggested I consider the Minolta Z3 which had similar features.
I bought the Minolta Z3 without first trying or properly researching it. I returned it 2 days later after taking about 75 pictures. I found that it took very noisy over exposed pictures. Had I spent more time tweaking the settings it may have took good pictures and I feel a $500.00 camera should take good pictures out of the box.

I then bought the FZ20, without trying it, but I did a lot more research. I don't regret it at all. Like bobc I would prebably not buy another camera without trying it first unless a it's FZ.
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:22 AM   #13

Hi

Thanks for all the replies .

Special thanks to :

Nick : Some great info , and have noted that the "Leica" name is a pet subject of yours.

Treemonkey : Thanks for being able to relate to the things that happen in Oz , I was beginning to think it was me!

Anyway you have a great little community going here ,and i hope to be joining you soon.

If I get time tommorow I'm going to order a FZ20 with a 265mb ultraII card , I just hope Panasonic have deliverd a few black ones down here !

Anyway many thanks to you all.
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:21 AM   #14

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:58 AM   #15

Jake D wrote:
Quote:
They had just gotten the fz10s in and I could tell they weren't pushing them. The salesman kind of laughed at me and gave me a look that said "if you want a panasonic go to sears, we're a camera shop."
Reviewers, camera shops, users often tend to "advise you" to get a "digicam made by camera manufacturer." Bull crap. You know what I find funny? Just based on pure reasoning, not anything about cameras? Simple question:

Q. Does a digicam have more in common with a traditional camera or a camcorder or esp. a digil video cam?
A. A digital video camera and a camcorder. They are optics coupled to a (or three) CCD(s) or an analog video medium via electronics. No mechanical apertures, shutters, etc.

Q. What does Canon, Oly, Minolta's decades of experience in mechanical engineering buy them when creating a digital camera?
A. Nothing.

Who are among the leading makers of digital and analog video equipment, pre-dating the advent of the "digicam"?
A. Sony and Panasonic (among others...but not most of the traditional camera makers.)

Q. Who is the current market leader in digitals, and the primary innovator going back to their origins?
A. Sony (...followed by Oly)

Q. Who puts out the best fixed lens digital right now?
A. Panasonic

Q. Why is that? (See the two preceding questions...)
A. They were able to leverage their "electo-optical" engineering expertise from their consumer camcorder/digital camera market experience. The mechanical engineering expertise of the traditionals became - for all intents and purposes, obsolete in the digital age. Nikon engineers a wicked shutter. So what? It's NA now.

Q. What are sales people in camera shops good for, esp. the brick and mortar chains?
The males are unintentionally funny in their cheesiness and misinformation and desperation to sell. Some of the females are cute and make for good eye-candy and can be flirty in that pathetic "sales chick" kinda way.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 6:26 PM   #16

If you want to have fun, do a search and see if you can find exactly where eh eh "True"Leica lenses are made to the German specs. At one time it was in Canada, then it moved to Taiwan, where now, I'm not too sure.

For me getting the FZ10 was real easy. Afterhaving the Sony CD-1000 I already knew exactly what was needed.At least 10x optical and it had to have IS. I asked for people to post macro shots from the Panasonic. Fred, Steve and so many more posted macro shots for me to see. I wanted to see what the optics were like to start with. I add all sorts of glass and optics to cameras, but it has to have top optics to start with. That is number 1in my book. If the glass is no good, the camera is out the door.

So after seeing excellent work from Panasonic user's (Thanks Fred), all I needed to do, was to the physically feel the camera. So darned logic, it was a dream. So thats how I got into the FZ10. The FZ20, I would get tomorrow, no questions asked.

Anyway, thats how I went about it. You know something, the best review you will ever find is from the users themselves, not Dpreview or from here at Steve's, its from the users. They can tell you exactly whats wrong and whats right with a camera. Things that don't get checked by the techie reviewers.

Anyway, all the best and BTW, my brother in Aussie just got the FZ20 from a shop, no problem. Where exactly I don't know, they have been in a campervan for 18 months :-)

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:26 PM   #17

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:32 PM   #18

And 2 other question and answer:

Q: Who made the first image stabilizer?

A: Panasonic (1981, angular rate sensors, 1988 first video camera with IS)... The first Canon SLR IS lens was made in 1995 (EF 75-300 F4-5.6). This was the first IS SLR lens in the world...

Q: Who's got world leading sub-mikron-technology for made one-of-the best Aspherical lens in mass production?

A: Panasonic, Yamagata factory...
KTTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:12 AM   #19

Hi Bassman,i have just joined the forum and i see that you are in West AUS,so am i, in Perth. i bought my FZ20 from the Good Guys about 6 weeks ago for$935.00 colour was black. Yes i would buy one straight away,great camera fun to use. Raoul
Raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:48 AM   #20

Well my quest continues :

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The place that gave me a good price for the FZ20 , got back to me today to say that Panasonic wouldn't have any over here before mid Febuary , and that there possibly would be black amongst them.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Prize of the week for the most inept salesman goes to one of the guys at CameraHouse shopin the center of Perth , when I enquired about a Panasonic he replied " Oh no no , Panasonic ! No they really mainly do microwaves and stuff" :O

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It was then that I directed him to CameraHouses Christmas brochure that clearly shows them selling a FZ3 & FZ20's in silver & black :roll:"Ah well they get them printed over east ya see ,and we dont do any of that" was the reply !

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So we shall see what tomorrow brings !

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for the tip Raoul , I never thought of The Good Guys, but hey now I know where to look , you'll probably find me somewhere between the microwaves , hoovers & washing machine section !

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote