Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:14 PM   #11

Mine says:

Ver 1.08:0000

fz20:0086

07.29.13:19

And when I did the pixel refresh it went back to normal after restarting.

bobc

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:22 AM   #12

I tried and it doesn't work for my camera FZ20 to enter the Service Mode.

Rotate to P mode.
Press the Up button (I assume it should be the round button which is next to the screen).
Press the Burst Button (I assume it should be the tiny button with 3 cascade rectangle).
Then I swith on. Nothing happens. Just swith on as normal only. Anymore clues ?
thamch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Code:
thamch wrote:
I tried and it doesn't work for my camera FZ20 to enter the Service Mode.

Rotate to P mode.
Press the Up button (I assume it should be the round button which is next to the screen).
Press the Burst Button (I assume it should be the tiny button with 3 cascade rectangle).
Then I swith on. Nothing happens. Just swith on as normal only. Anymore clues ?

thamch - OK so far. Now press 'Menu' button and switch it to 'Setup' section, where you should see the "Pixel Refresh" now added on the fourth page of the 'Setup' section.
It usually takes me a couple of tries. It seems as if I hold the 'burst' button and 'Up' button down for an extra second or two after the camera has come on, it works more often. AND I don't have to do anything to get back to 'normal'. My camera will default back to 'normal' just by shutting it off.

Mine shows: (in a cool blue font)
Ver 1.0A:0000
FZ20:008A
08.03 21:33

Yes I double checked all the characters, as there seems to be some difference with the two earlier reported camera's data.

I can see the grimaces now at PANASONIC, over this. They seemed to have gotten a bit perturbed when the "secret" buttons were discovered on the FZ10 that let us view the firmware version information. In later model releases that function wasthen disabled.

lol - disclaimer: I am not responsible for any injury (fatal or otherwise) you may incure nor any self-destruction of your camera, by your actions, or those of any others (herewith known as 'others'), arrived at from information, implied or not, of this posting. - lol

m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:02 PM   #14
Fox

Anyone know how to access the service menu on the FZ1
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:21 PM   #15
DNX

Mine says in blue

1.0C:0000

FZ20:008F

09.02 13:18

cheers

DNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:45 PM   #16
eal

Mine is:

1.0A:0000

FZ20:008A

08.03 21:23

eal

eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:27 PM   #17

double posting... damn...
could someone please delete this very post ?
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:27 PM   #18

DNX wrote:
Quote:
Mine says in blue

1.0C:0000

FZ20:008F

09.02 13:18

cheers

What is really interesting about it, is that not all of you have the absolutely identical firmware version O_o !!
1.0C seems to be the most recent version if I am right that it is numbered with hexadecimal values (0-15, where 10 to 15 are represented by A-F)

Interesting... indeed!

I would like to know, where the differences are hidden.
And if it was possible to copy the firmware from one camera to the computer and back to another camera...
That could give us at least the possibility to improve the firmware within the bound that I can see here. (1.08 to 1.0C)

I am also guessing, that the third line is telling us the date + time, when the firmware was made or something like that...

I do not own a FZ20 yet, but I will as soon as I can afford it (as a student).

And please excuse my not-so-good english :?
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:41 PM   #19

I think another interesting questions is posed from a posting at PTF.

Quote:
Code:
Someone correct this if inaccurate but I believe the FZ20 that was used for the initial dpreview review was a pre-production camera. If you look at the review you will see "pixel refresh" shown in a photo as one of the menu selections. Second to last sample frame in the test at

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11360466

Yet all production models have that deleted. Could have missed it, but I did a quick read and could not find any other mention of 'pixel refresh' in the review. Even if I'm incorrect as to the "pre-production" model being used, one wonders why the production units have this menu selection hidden??
Just checked the FZ20 review Steve did and the menu 'setup' screen on the camera he had for review, did not have access to "pixel refresh" shown byhis screen samples.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:17 PM   #20

Hi!

I Wan't To say, P L E A S E don't use these modes in FZ20, because it can damage your camera. I've got PM form Panasonic, that answers my questions:

" Pixel refresh mode is a service tool to map out bad pixels. Most DSC's have this - it's no big secet. It's used with a special test chart. IF THIS MODE IS EXECUTED WITHOUT THE CAMERA BEING SET UP CORRECTLY AND W/O THE CHART, YOU CAN MAP OUT HUGE PORTIONS OF THE CCD. The only way to correct this will be to replace the CCD - a very costly repair - very easy for us to identify - and definitely not covered by the warranty.

Firmware can't be copied from one camera to another by any means I'm aware of. The numbers they are reading, and trying to decipher, are basically production date codes. Thus far, no changes in firmware. Firmware changes would be read from the EXIF data.

Certain service modes that people have entered can erase the regional profile <data that distinguishes a US version from a Japanese version and so on.> If that occurs, you'll have a brain dead camera. Basically, if they insist on playing they will be paying! "

So P L E A S E, P L E A S E don't use these menus, and codes!!!!
KTTech is offline   Reply With Quote