Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:57 PM   #21

Oh thanks for the warning.
Could you ask this guy, why they won't release any firmware upgrades for these cameras, please?
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:32 AM   #22

KTTech wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

I Wan't To say, P L E A S E don't use these modes in FZ20, because it can damage your camera. I've got PM form Panasonic, that answers my questions:

" Pixel refresh mode is a service tool to map out bad pixels. Most DSC's have this - it's no big secet. It's used with a special test chart. IF THIS MODE IS EXECUTED WITHOUT THE CAMERA BEING SET UP CORRECTLY AND W/O THE CHART, YOU CAN MAP OUT HUGE PORTIONS OF THE CCD. The only way to correct this will be to replace the CCD - a very costly repair - very easy for us to identify - and definitely not covered by the warranty.

Firmware can't be copied from one camera to another by any means I'm aware of. The numbers they are reading, and trying to decipher, are basically production date codes. Thus far, no changes in firmware. Firmware changes would be read from the EXIF data.

Certain service modes that people have entered can erase the regional profile <data that distinguishes a US version from a Japanese version and so on.> If that occurs, you'll have a brain dead camera. Basically, if they insist on playing they will be paying! "

So P L E A S E, P L E A S E don't use these menus, and codes!!!!

Hi KTTech

May I know the enquries that you posted to Panasonic?

Cheers

John
John Teoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:43 PM   #23

I'm not posting the problem to the Panasonic, one Sr. product engineer from the USA read our discussion, and send me a PM.

But hopefully the warranty laws very different in EU countries... We've got 2 years full warranty include labor and parts, or even batteries. In the first half year, The customer musn't prove the fault, I can say, this is a factory fault. If they can proove me the opposite. (OK, If it liquid damage, that is a different way...).

But I must to take my FZ20 into service. The pictures it makes looks a little impressionistic now - I think too much pixel was remapped... (But I try to change the CCD in warranty. I've got some friends in there. I hope they can help me...)

I repeat: DON'T USE THESE CODES & MENUS!!!
KTTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:39 PM   #24

I have allready used the pixel refresh, before you posted the warning.

Waht should I do now?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:52 PM   #25

Ok I put my camera into service mode without reading all the post :?, I have NOT pressed the pixel refresh I just looked at the software level, but the camera will not come out of this mode, can you please tell me how you got your camera out of this mode, It appears to have been removed from the post.

SORTED thanks for the PM -

pwiles1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:40 PM   #26

bobc:

If you can't see image quality degrade: Do nothing.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:44 PM   #27

I was sent you a PM.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:47 PM   #28

Sorry guys, that I make so much trouble for you.

I find this menu accidently. I don't know what a trouble caused by me.
I appologize all of it.

By: KTTech
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:17 PM   #29
eal

It's not your fault, you just passed on the information to us, we are the ones that actually executed it. I haven't actually looked at any pictures since I did the pixel refresh....but I got the two year service from CC so I'm not too worried. I do find it weird that they named it "pixel refresh" instead of "pixel remap" or something that would lead someone to believe they shouldn't run it. I would think that givin that the way to get into service mode is not complicated, it should have a warning picture come up....

[Edit] If they can tell that I went into service mode andit voids the warrenty, I will be buying another one and use to take pictures of my old one as I totally dis-assemble it....hope it doesn't come to that..[/edit]

eal

eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:13 PM   #30
Fox

For the FZ20 users that did the pixel refresh, I hope your camera's are all right. eal, I take it that your is not doing so well:sad: Hope everything turn out O.K. for you.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote