Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:30 PM   #11

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:33 AM   #12

Dwisetyo, I really like it. It looks like the moped is going much faster than I'm sure it can go. Then to have your subject in color while the rest is in b & w. Very neat! How did you do that?
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:39 PM   #13

I`ve done a maybe a thousand pan shots in my life, with my 35mm gear. I used to run around with a speed boat racing club for about 20 years and take lots and lots of pics. The boat are called hydroplanes, and depending on class, the speeds range from about 70 mph to 170 mph. The guys are pretty much right on with thier info. However, how you stand is important also. Stand with your feet slightly apart, just a few inches wider than your hips. This gives you good stability and balance. Keep yourelbows close, but not tight,to your sides and support the camera from underneath with one hand. This will help a eliminate camera shake, remember you`ll be using a low shutter speed so shake has a way of creeping in at low speed. When you start your pan, rotate from your hips, and not yor head. You want to keep your head and neck as still as possible. The maximum pan effect will occur when the subject is directly in front of you. Don`t overfill the frame with the subject, butdon`t underfill either. It`s the background that provides the pan effect. As the subject approaches pic a spotin the center of the subject and try to keep it centered in the view finder. When you release the shutter, BE GENTLE and don`t MASHit. If you MASH it, you WILL induce camera shake!!! 125th of a second was a safe shutter speed, I`d almost always get a decent pan, 60th of second was reallycool but a lot harder, and on a good day, I could go down to a 60th of a second, but that was real tuff.

Oh yeah, one more thing, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

I`m still on schedule with saving up for my "20". It`s Christmas season and I`ve been spending. Just a few more weeks and I should be able to get the camera, with a bunch of accesories.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:54 AM   #14

dwisetyo,

Wow, I realy like this shot!

It conveys a great feeling of motion.

-Tom

VBT_robotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:01 PM   #15

here's another one, i kinda like this one cause it almost looks like they wanna race.
Attached Images

wt888usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:17 PM   #16

They do look like they wanna race. Are they both 'stangs?

Bobc - what, everyone drives an SUV up that way? :G
Man, you love that camera, which is great. Even take it with you to work and practice on break. I think that's too cool. Dig it... see your smoke breaks? I'm smoke-free going on 8 days. Gonna do it this time. Being asked to quit by your teary-eyed 9 year old daughter has more impact than being nagged 10,000 times by family and friends.

...back to taking pics during smoke-break, I'm gonna nick-name you "Pecker"... It's the title character of a John Waters comedy about an amature photographer who takes his camera with him everywhere. (Never saw the film, so I hope this isn't offensive.)
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:40 PM   #17

i'm actually not sure if they are both stangs, i actually just saw the grey one and really wanted to try a panning one with it when i saw it at the traffic light, so when it turned green i focused on it, but after reviewing the photo, i saw the other classic car and even got them looking at each other. which i never saw when taking the photo btw. so that's pretty cool.
wt888usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 6:46 PM   #18

Ooops, the last line in the first paragraph inmy post above, has an error. I can, but it ain`t easy at all, use a 30th of a second while panning.

Nick, good luck with kicking the "coffin nails". I know that really is TOUGH !!! As a boner cancer survivor, I can tell you it`s worth the struggle to stop with the cigs. Do whatever it takes!

I had a friend years agothatcarried a cheapcamera, always loadedwith B&W film,in the car with him and he got some neat pics over the years. One of my favorites was a pic of a small child and a dog, both drinking out of a puddle. I`ll bet mom wasn`t to cool with that! Another was a pic of 3 elderly women sitting on a bus bench on a hot sunny day. They all had umbrellas to shade themselves, but one them was using a clear plastic umbrella.

PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:04 PM   #19

Nick,

I applaud your decision to give up something that only takes away. I lost my mother to lung cancer from her cigarette smoking during the week of Thanksgiving six years agoand my dad is in the balance with his emphysema right now. Two close calls this year and I am dreading the final call.

Do whatever it takes to kick that awful habit.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:48 PM   #20

I think about quiting a lot. But it's the only bad habit I got left.

Maybe some day.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote