Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:32 PM   #11
Fox

Bob, All I can say is WOW! Nice job.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:20 PM   #12

Nice shots.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:43 PM   #13

Nice clear shots bob.. what setting was the cam...in pan mode or manual..

fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:56 PM   #14

Thanks every one.

First off, this kind of shooting is probably 50% luck, 50% panning skill. These birds move and change direction so fast that it's hard to keep them in the frame, let alone get them to focus at the same time.

If you do get one to focus and don't snap the shot quick enough, they are out of focus that quick.

I did some in the panning mode, but most where done in P mode. Reason being, there is no time to adjust settings as the background changes to get the correct exposure. I will try shutter priority next time so I can keep the shutter speed fast enough to freez the wings moving. There where many that did not turn out, but I imagine as I get better, that number will be less.

I don't think the panning mode works as good in this situation, because I think it uses a slower shutter speed than is needed to freez the wings so the background will show motion blur. I think P mode or maybe shutter priority mode (which I have not tried yet)would work the best. Come to think of it... Action mode may work well too.

And thank you all for enjoying them.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:10 AM   #15

really great pic bobc, so i will try all tip that u give, thx andu're really nice man bobc
dwisetyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:07 AM   #16
Mag

good job bobc, nice panning shots!
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:26 AM   #17

bob thanks for sharing with us....you have been doing your homework i see:G super nice shots and very informative on how to do it..i wish i could explain thing this good....

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:38 PM   #18

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
bobc,

As NickTrop stated these are the best shots you have posted so far (well except for your grand daughter). Great panning shots. I can relate how hard they are to take. I tried it in Bodega, California and did not get close to the results you posted. How many shots did you take? Did you try burst mode?

Thanks,

Tom
I probably took about 100 or so shots, and probably maybe a third of them came out good. I was thinking of burst mode, but once you lock the focus and take the shot... If it's not in focus then they are all not in focus... And if it is in focus... I think the rest would still be out of focus due to the subject moving out of focus.

Basically... It's a one time deal. If you focus and get the shot off fast enough before the subject moves out of focus... You got the shot.

I stated in the other panning thread to use burst mode, but that was on a pre-focused shot of something moving down a road. You can pre-focus on a test subjectat a spot where you want to get the shot, then right before the actual subject gets to that spot... keep the burst mode firing until right after the subject passes the spot. That will give you a good chance of getting a really clear shot out of the set of bursts.

I hope I am explaining this right... Thanks...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote