Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1

It seems like everyone thinks the FZ20 is the best, but I have some real concerns about its size. I am a female senior citizen and I'm just leery about carrying that much camera around. I don't want it to end up on a shelf instead of using it. So... now I'm thinking about going with the FZ3 instead. Will I lose a lot in picture quality, etc.?

I'm not any kind of camera buff... I've only had a point and shoot camera up until now. I just don't want to buy the lesser if I will really end up disappointed. On the other hand, the size of the FZ20 really has me concerned. (I have seen it in person at a store.)
Any opinions would be appreciated.
akmase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:08 PM   #2

The FZ3 will be ideal for you.. go for it.. see some shots taken by other members to make your choice roundup...

Pbase has some pics http://www.pbase.com/cameras/panasonic/lumix_dmc_fz3

fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:56 PM   #3

FZ-3 all the way. It is an excellent camera. The 20 has two more megapixels and a few more controls. It is better primarily if you plan to make printes larger than 8X10 in size. You will not be disappointed. "Better" is subjective. For you more compact is "better". For someone who likes to make huge prints or major cropping (cutting) and resizing of images the FZ-20 would be better.

I use the FZ-3's predessor, the FZ-1, for the same reason as you. Though I am not a senior citizen, I prefer a smaller camera I can carry around with me all the time. I am very happy with this camera, and prefer it to the larger models, despite having fewer megapixels. It makes excellent print 6X4, 5X7, and even 8X10 inch prints.

The FZ-3 is even smaller than the FZ-1, has 3 megapixels (plenty), and enhancements. Once you learn how to get the most out of it and go through the learning curve, you will be quite happy of what this little camera can do.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:04 PM   #4

Thanks so much for the input. It has given me the confidence to go with the smaller one and not worry about what I might be missing
akmase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:31 PM   #5

I agree with Nick. I bought the FZ3 specifically because of its smaller size. I find it's more likely to go along with me wherever I gobecause it's not so bulky. I don't regret my decision at all.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:34 PM   #6

You can't go wrong with any of the FZ's. The FZ3 will be just fine for you.

It's all the camera you will need IMHO.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:55 PM   #7

Well, if you haven't been convinced by now, let me add a few pennies worth.

What you loose w/FZ3: You will loose bulk, weight, manual focus, and 1.8megapixels, the latter of which will in all likelyhood not make any difference to you.

I had gotten an FZ15 (twin to the 20)that turned out to be defective, so I had to send it back. This turned out to be fortuitous, as I came upon an FZ3 about the same time. Because of this, I had the opportunity to compare them both, and ever since have been quite happy with my FZ3.

hth,

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote