Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:41 AM   #11

Hey Vito , EXCELLENT !!!. Exactly the right place to start as well, flowers. We learn so much from shooting inside on cold wet days with flowers. Well done mate, well done.

Ok, try this one. Use the inbuilt flash on the G2, hold a white card (I just use printing paper), on an angle so the flash bounces off it and down onto the flower. Give that a shot Vito. Simple but very effective.

Nice colours and details. The perspective really changes huh, I love it. You must be happy with this so soon M8t.

All the best Vito, hope to see more like this :|

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:53 AM   #12

hey danny

i'd been using the technique for a while before that one..lol, but that was the first day i had used electrical tape (not the best tape for the job...but it ended up working alright...still using the same tape now!) to hold the 50mm onto the conversion adapter...man having two hands free was amazing...lol...

it also allowed slower shutter speeds (it was outside...so not TOO slow ) and i could manual focus better...which i found, when i focused with my G2...i could focus at full macro (i believe) and it would allow me to move back a bit...it might be the other way around...maybe focusing on infinity...lol, i'll have to check...lol

thanks for the flash idea...

ok, it's official...i'm not selling my G2....well...at least not to anyone but my dad ...lol, he wants to buy it! pretty good deal for me...he uses it whenever...but i make sure it's alright that i use it every once in a while...especially if the 70-300mm sigma lens isn't too good (i think it's 1:1 at 200-300mm...)

well...when i get the 70-300mm...i'm gonna love the wiggle room! and the lack of digital zoom

btw...have you ever thought of, instead of digital zooming the vignetting out (just a guess that's why you're zooming...) just cropping, and using a program like Genuine Fractals to interpolate it?

wow...writing a book have a nice day! thanks for the help! i'm glad you posted your aphid shots here too...i knew they'd love them here

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:20 AM   #13

Digital zoom. Hmmm:-). I only crop in the finder Vito. With the 100mm on, 12x optical just avoids the vignetting problem. Heres a shot and a link about digital zoom

So the question has always been to me, why would I want to shoot like this and crop every shot. Not easy to get a decent rectangular frame out of this. So I use digital zoom often as a another macro tool.

Heres the page I did on digital zoom for some thattold me I don't need it and I should look at cropping, LOL. Have a good careful read and look at the resultson the next page.

http://www.nzmacro.50megs.com/vignetting.htm

So my question is always, why crop afterward :-). I have quite a few hidden pages Vito over the years, LOL.

All the best and I'm really looking forward to more like this from you. Tomorrow would be good

Danny.

PS: I should have said, that page was done about 3 years ago for some down at Dpreview.

Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:47 AM   #14

hey danny...

i see your point...apparently digital zoom isn't as low quality as i've heard!

oh yeah...and by cropping...i didn't mean adjusting the composition later...just doing wat the digital zoom is doing...

i almost never crop...i only crop when i need a square print...lol...and there's not much way around that one

it looks like your view on photography is very similar to mine...get it right first...

i'm a bit hesitant of RAW...i don't want to slip into the mentality..."oh i could always bump up the exposure later" and "ah, i don't need to worry about white balance...i'm shooting RAW"

seems a bit lazy to me

well, anyway...good point about digital zoom, and nice page backing it up

i absolutely love that carnation shot at the bottom of the page...used as a link to the shots taken using digital zoom...it's beautiful!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:15 AM   #15

I have nothing againstcropping at all really, I just don't like to think that some go around thinking that way all the time :-). As you can see, I would not enjoy cropping images that are in a round form to start with LOL. Thats when you would need plenty of megapixels. I think we both like to see what we are getting to start with Vito. Cropping really is just another tool at the end of the day. So use it if necessary IMO.

All the best Vito. Impressed with what you are trying and doing there with macro. Always great to see. :-)

Danny.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:36 AM   #16

Hello Danny

I have fz10 and am interested in using additional lenses to get macro shots also. Can you tell me how your set up is re. zoom and focus in the fz10. The only lenses I have are automatic focus minolta type. Do you have to use a non automatic focus lens? I also assume you focus with the additional lens.

Any reply will be greatly appreciated
rdjphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:48 PM   #17

very innovative use of slr lenses, Danny when you say you glue the filter ring to the cut out rear lenscap it will need to be a strong bond to carry lens weight, what glue do you use.
Lens reversal can work at times ie the lens is optically better also you could use a threaded ring adaptor.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:46 AM   #18

Heck, who dug this one up from the deep depths of steves digi's. :-)

Ok, autofocus lenses work just fine.On an added zoom lens I use the zoom control on the lens to set ratio and to focus with.......thats the zoom control. The FZ10 zoom also gives a ratio, so we have two things now that can set ratio size.

Fixed optical added lenses, I just use the zoom control on the FZ10 to set ratio size.

Push the shutter button half way to lock exposure and just move the camera forward or backward to focus.

Ahh Aussie me M8t :-), the filter thread is a 55mm. A real tight fit to the inside of the FZ lens. Once pushed in......hard, it won't come out. Just added a little....very little epoxy resin to make it permanent. Now I have to say, I don't recommend it, but we have done it to my brothers FZ20 as well now, LOL.But please don't do it, if something goes wrong, its not my fault. My cameras are well used and scratched, they are not jewelery so I don't worry about them, never have, noteven with the Canon and Nikon SLR's. So if you treasure you camera, think twice about it and don't do it.

You will see in the shot with the Canon 35-70 in reverse, its just a real tight fit into the supplied hood. No Paul has just added velcro to get the same thing with other fixed optical lenses, clever and easy really. Good onya Paul.

All the best folks, just busy with my brother while hes here, having a photographic blast :-)

Danny.

Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:51 AM   #19

I have always wondered about your setups. Thanks for all the photos and explanations.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:00 PM   #20

Yup, truly inspirating. This thread got me all warmed up about macro! I'm ordering a lens right now

what should it be.. raynox 150 or 250

Thx for the great info
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote