Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:48 PM   #1

Everyone say hello to the newbie!

Actually, I'm new to the site, but this is my 5th digital camera. I just replaced my Fuji S3000 with the infamous FZ3 after relishing in the stupendous reviews all over the web. Eagerly, I charged the battery and began the experimental process. Needless to say, when comparing to the Fuji, I'm disappointed. I would like you seasoned veterans to have a look-see at the following and give me your knowledgable opinion.

Do the noise issues appear to be a tad too much on this one?

Attached Images

rubblerubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:49 PM   #2

Here's another scenario. I've tried numerous settings from this perspective and this is the best I could come with up on the FZ3
Attached Images

Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:51 PM   #3

Now, by contrast, I can effortlessly take the same photo as above with my old Fuji and look at the results. I think this is clearly more indicative of the actual visuals in the room. The sharpness and color is better here (even after I changed the FZ3 to Vivid, I also messed around with different EV and flash settings).
Attached Images

Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:53 PM   #4

Is there something I've done wrong? Like I said, I've tampered with numerous settings and I cannot get a more realistic picture with the Panny as I can with the Fuji. Any tips? Suggestions? Should I box it back up and return it because I'm clueless?!?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:51 PM   #5

I should also mention that I've tried all of the different ISO settings and they each introduce noticable noise. I could really use some help because I'm very discouraged at this time.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:18 PM   #6

Here is your first shot with noise removed in paint shop pro 9.

Noise is ussually not an issue in most cases. It can easily be removed with out effecting image quality.

As for the next 2 pics... I don't know what you are aiming for...

Can you be more spacific as to what you think is wrong, and what settings you used?

bobc

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:29 PM   #7

I would also like to add that, all the big zooms must use a smaller sensor in order to accomidate smaller lenses with larger zoom ranges. So the noise level is going to be higher.

My FZ20 has a 1/2.5 sensor at 5 MP, thus more noise.

The FZ15 has a 1/2.5 sensor at 4 MP, thus less noise than the FZ20.

Your FZ3 has a 1/3.2 sensor at 3 MP, thus able to support the smaller lense, but more noise.

The FZ1 has a 1/3.2 sensor at 2 MP, thus less noise than the FZ3.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:57 PM   #8

The most important thing you might want to consider in order to improve your FZ3 is white balance and setting it up manually. Take your time with the camera and learn its setting and so on before judging it.

Look into your manual how to manual set the white balance.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:35 PM   #9

bob great fix on the first pic....

the second pic looks off in color and a little washed out..like "rez" was saying set the wb in manual then try it again...

my question is when setting wb manual say if you indoors going to take a flash shot do i shoot a whitecard or a white wall "with the flash on"?

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:32 PM   #10

I will try your suggestions and see what happens before I give up. Thank you forthe responses.