Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:35 AM   #1

Well, folks thanks to all of you and this fine forum. I finally made the leap and purchased the legendary FZ1. All I can say is: WOW! But, am amazed as to how small this camera is. Remember where I am coming from, I've been using a Sony Mavica FD83 for a long while. Im a big man with big hands and this little camera feels so tiny!!!

But, the preliminary shots I've taken indoors with poor lighting astounds me as to how sharp and clear my shots are. I do a lot of ebay shooting for my auctions and was worried about the macro function not being up to par. Well, its fine for me and have no worries!

I can't wait to start working this camera out and running it through it's paces.

Does anyone have a few pointers what I should do to "test" this camera out and make sure it's ALL working fine. Im am totally a newbie with all these functions. I find them so baffling but am studying the manual. (Don't laugh, some us do use manuals). It does seems to function fine, I did notice a few of the plastic bags where some of the accessories can be found looked like they been opened then resealed awkwardly.

I bought my camera from Viking.com products, very friendly people and very helpful.

A side note: I ordered a Hoya UV multicoated UV filter. it doesn't fit the plastic adapter. The threads do not extend far enough into the adapter. I take it the Quantaray 55mm is the one I should get? I really don't want to sandpaper the plastics and for now, I've taped the UV filter to the plastic tube/barrel and all seems to work quite nicely but definitely not a permanent solution.
Thanks again!
St8
PS Am enclosing a macro shot of a nickel. I could NEVER do this with my Mavica unless I went to a lot of trouble with _plenty_ of light. I shot this under a bedside table lamp. I can't get over it.

Tomorrow maybe shots of buffalo on the Tall Grass Prairie:|
Attached Images

St8saler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:21 AM   #2

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:10 AM   #3

St8saler wrote:
Quote:
I find them so baffling but am studying the manual. (Don't laugh, some us do use manuals). It does seems to function fine, I did notice a few of the plastic bags where some of the accessories can be found looked like they been opened then resealed awkwardly.
:lol: I read the manual - twice, before I even took a shot with the FZ-1! And I'm not a manual reader either. Keep it handy. Apart from that, I think you're in good shape. Theses things (digital camera) either work fine or are DOA.

I suspected someone had used, looked at or tested the camera when I got mine too, when I first opened it. Camera worked fine, forgot all about it. Non-issue.

Have fun!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:22 AM   #4

St8saler wrote:
Quote:
A side note: I ordered a Hoya UV multicoated UV filter. it doesn't fit the plastic adapter. The threads do not extend far enough into the adapter. I take it the Quantaray 55mm is the one I should get? I really don't want to sandpaper the plastics and for now, I've taped the UV filter to the plastic tube/barrel and all seems to work quite nicely but definitely not a permanent solution.
Congratulations, St8. You're going to love the fz1 - particularly outdoors. Isuggest removing that unwanted, totally unneccessary plastic from the front of the adpater. Your hoya uv filter will most likely get a secure fit then. The permanent solution is to get a yoshida aluminum alloy adapter for about $50. But I wouldnt wait. They may not be available much longer.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:14 PM   #5

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
The permanent solution is to get a yoshida aluminum alloy adapter for about $50. But I wouldnt wait. They may not be available much longer.
Where are these available?

Laurie
eirual is offline   Reply With Quote