Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:35 AM   #11

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:44 AM   #12

Jake D wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I'm color blind too nick. ^_^
Off topic but I'm bad. I tested and have both forms, which is rare. My dad got a '70 Impala, new and I was like 5 when he got the car. He held on to it (he was an aircraft mechanic, worked on fighters, started on cars...) and gave it to me when I was 16 and got my license. I drove my friends to H.S. and was known for picking them up at 7:53 a.m. and making it to school by 8:00, so they started calling it "the mean green machine". We had this car for 10+ years, and I always thought it was brown!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:13 AM   #13
Administrator

Actually, the Olympus colors are too warm to my eyes. Part of it is probably due to exposure settings and the impact of incadescent lighting. You used a faster shutter speed withthe Panasonic, with a smaller aperture.

Your Panasonic Image was taken at 1/15 second, f/3.7, and your Olympus photo was taken at 1/10 second at f/3.2.

Even though there is a slight difference in ISO speed, you're usingdifferent exposure setting with the Olympus image (shutter speed that's 50% slower, with an aperture that'smore than20% brighter).

So, ambient light will impact the exposure more with the Olympus settings (hence a warmer photo fromthe incadescent lighting).

The Olympus may also be metering the scene differently for flash burst length (it's exposed a bit brighter). Although, if the flash burst length was identical, then the flash would be contributing more to the Olympus image, since it was using a brighter aperture. Shutter speed won't impact the amount of exposure from flash, but aperture will.

If you want less of a color cast from ambient lighting, stop down your aperture (higher f/stop value) or use faster shutter speeds.

If you want more exposure from ambient lighting, open up your aperture more (smaller f/stop values), or use slower shutter speeds. This will also allow better background exposure (since the ambient light will contribute more). But, you'll get more of a color cast from other lighting sources.

But, if you go tooslow with the shutter speed using flash, then you risk getting some motion blur from the ambient lighting exposure.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:36 AM   #14

JimC -
I know you have a lot of ground to cover; I wish you would post here more often. I learn so much from your posts, I saved links to some of the threads you post, like this one. Thank you!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:14 PM   #15

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:29 PM   #16

Jake D wrote:
Quote:
Off topic too: I love the 70's impala/caprice, I've had 3 76's. The one I drove in HS was called the blue bomber and the doors were wired shut with coathangers. The trans died on my current one last month so I think it might have seen it's last day. It's probably my last too with "super" crawling up to 2.50/gal. Guess I'll have to grow up and get a real car.
Great cars, didn't appreciate it at the time. The one my dad handed over was meticulously maintained and in pristine condition, he being a top flight mechanic, and "into" cars. Every so often he would "open her up" (to 90 mph or so) so as to "clear the fuel line" :lol: when we were on the road, sending my mom into a panic. 'Course I loved it. Dad, I think those fuel lines need clearn'! Do it again!

But for the price you're paying in gas for that large (terrific) and always thirsty engine in those things, you mi'swell own a benz.

... sorry, Nance... didn't mean to monopolize your thread with car talk. Forgive me. :G
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:49 PM   #17

Hi!

Are you tried the Portrait mode? It tweaks the default color system of the FZ20. It gives more warmer colors, than the normal mode. The skin toneslooks more natural, healthy in this mode...

I've got problems with using flash in mixed lights. If the image wasn't good for me, I tried manual white balance, or, I used color filter in my Sunpak 383 flash, which is matching the outer lights.
KTTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:02 PM   #18

Set the white balance manually, that usually takes care of the problem.
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:10 PM   #19

Hi Nancy,

Sorry, all photos seem excellent to this albeit untrained eye.

On a side note, somehow you have captured a wonderful joie de vivre (francophiles help me on my nonexistent French) expression on the sister of the bride.

Very nice "moment" of shared happiness that you have ably captured...both with the OLY and the FZ.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:38 AM   #20

Can you set the white balance manually using a flash???
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote