Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:22 PM   #21

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:05 PM   #22
al1

Hi Nancy,

I prefer the 1st one, the 2nd looking a bit too " yellow " to MY eyes,

Anyway the subject is so ...alive and full of "joie de vivre " ,as it as been said, that the most important fact is what you will keep of that moment.

By the way, the background ( iron, plastic bin ) is much more annoying.

Alain

al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:14 PM   #23

al1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Nancy,

I prefer the 1st one, the 2nd looking a bit too " yellow " to MY eyes,
I think the same,the neck skin tone on the second shot, looksa bit yellow - buton the first one it looks more natural....maybeIm wrong, maybethereal skin tone of that cute girl iscloser to the secondone....you (Nancy)are the only one on this forum who knows that.:?

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:07 PM   #24

still learning with my new fz20 - and loving it!. you can indeed set the white balance for flash, and then fine-tune the w.b. along the blu<>red dimension. this would of course involve taking a string of images at different fine-tune settings.

in the pics at the top of the post i looked at near 'white' objects in the background - table top, iron, wrapping paper, what appears to be crinolin pettycoat in paper bag. indeed these do seem to contain a bit too much red in the top photo, which probably could have been corrected with the fz20 fine-tune.

this might be totally afield, coming from a relative newguy at digital photography, but -- what about carrying a 15% or 20% greycard and sticking it in the background of any serious portraits?

ten years or so ago i was complaining to the manufacturer's support desk that i could not get the colors to come in properly on the $5000.00 color copier we had purchased. the copier had a large set of color correction filters which could be moved in front of the lens. i was using a color copier test chart. the tech support guy said: 'forget that. just use a greycard and get the greys to look right."

a few months ago i sat in on wife's art club meeting, the presentation being by a guy who digitizes documents and images for a living. when he is copying artwork he said he always 1) uses outside light for illumination where possible and 2) sticks a greyscale somewhere to be included in the image.

a bit off topic, but in my accumulating digital image toolbag is free program called pixie

http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.html

which simply follows the mouse pointer and reports the color of the pixel under the mouse in various formats (hex, html, rgb, cmyk, and hsv). nothing more than you can do with tools in photoshop, etc., but pixie does it's job from its small place in the desktop. it can always be there, not taking up much space or ram. was using it just now to pick over parts of the two images at subject.

shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:28 PM   #25

Thanks for everyone's help. I am actually at my office now, and on my computer monitor here, things look different altogether. My main computer is being repaired so I am using a laptop at home, but I am a good judge of pics on that laptop. I appreciate everyone's help. Remember the portraits were for makeup comparisons, not head shots for potential models, so the aluminum that was bothering someone wasn't put in to enhance, it was what was in my mom's kitchen.

Does anyone know if the portrait mode actually warms the image?

As far as I can tell you can't fire the flash to set the white balance manually. The white balance has a preset for flash pics. Then you can tweak it red to blue.

Off topic, does anyone know why when I try to save a pic from this forum it will only save it as a bitmap? A few weeks ago I could save it as a jpeg and read everyones metadata. This is really bugging me and I don't know why this is happening.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:53 AM   #26
Administrator

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
As far as I can tell you can't fire the flash to set the white balance manually. The white balance has a preset for flash pics. Then you can tweak it red to blue.

You'll need to select a white balance, andthen tweak it warmer or cooler with test photos for the desired result.

Personally, I think that you'd probably get pretty close by bumping up the exposure a little bit. The white balance itself looked pretty close to what it should be to my eyes, if you exposed about 1/3stop brighter.But, you know whather skin tones look like, and we don't.

But, it's safer to leave it alone and post process later (underexposure is always better than overexposure, since you don't want to blow the highlights on white dresses, etc. at a wedding).

You may also want to set saturation and contrast to their lowest settings (this alone may solve it, without changing exposure).

I wouldn't try to use shutter speeds quite as slow as your test shots. If you get into better lighting, you may end up with some motion blur from subject movement. Slower is better for more ambient light in the background, but it's risky from a motion blur perspective if lighting is better than expected.

With shutter speeds as slow as you're testing with, changes in ambient lighting may give you inconsistent results, too. Shutter speed has no impact on the amount of exposure from the flash itself (since the flash burst is too short to be effected by shutter speeds), but will allow more ambient light into the exposure.

You'll just need to experiment for best results. But, if you're making test shots in different lighting, your results may be entirely different with slower shutter speeds from ambient light exposure in other surroundings.

Quote:
Off topic, does anyone know why when I try to save a pic from this forum it will only save it as a bitmap? A few weeks ago I could save it as a jpeg and read everyones metadata. This is really bugging me and I don't know why this is happening.
If you're using IE, and "right clicking" on an image, use the "Save Picture As" versus "Save Target As" option. If you are only getting .bmp as an option, clear your internet cache (this is a common problem with IE -- not letting you save as JPEG when the cache is corrupted). Go to Tools, Internet Options, and you'll see aDeleteFilesbutton under Temporary Internet Files. I'd also check the delete offline content button when you see the confirmation prompt come up. I do this every day or two.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:29 PM   #27

Thanks for the IE tip, it worked. I usually do that periodically, but since I am on my laptop I forgot about it. I actually keep my cameras sharpness setting on high, all the time, and the sharpness was just a tad sharper than the Olympus, which proves the point that the FZ20 pics are naturally a bit dull. I have noticed with some pics taken with the FZ20 color balance is off. I think the auto color balance either isn't as good as the Olympus or other point n shoots, or it is just too sensitive. I have pictures on green grass, and the auto white balance didn't know what the hell to do. Some pics are perfect, other pics the skin tones are sallow, some pics are too magenta. I guess I have to white balance manually.

Thank everyone for all of your help. I am going to try to get a digital rebel and run some tests using my strobes (thru softbox like umbrellas called "Halo" something or others) and compare the two cameras on skin tones. Has anyone seen the digital pic of the day from two days ago (December7th) it was taken w/the Canon digital rebel. I don't know what the light source was but it looks amazing. I think if I was going to spend the money I would spend the extra bucks and get the EOS20D that looks like an amazing camera. I think my judgemental eyes are becoming too critical for the FZ20.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:40 AM   #28

:|