Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:06 AM   #11

8 seconds is indeed long and it can overexpose the shot. But you can use "manual bulb" mode - set the exposure time to 8 seconds, press the shutter and wait for THE lighting. If it strikes before the time passes, then quickly cover the lens with someting black and not transparent until the time passes. This assumes taking the picuters at night and using the tripod.
krame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:30 AM   #12

Thanks Krame, use to do that with the old slr, FZ20 dont have bulb setting. Anyways here's my very first night shot with FZ20.
Attached Images

Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 6:48 PM   #13

lol :-)

I think it's some trial and error to find the best setting for lightning. So far, I only had one opportunity (not many storms here ). It indeed is best to take the max shutterspeed. By preference in full manual mode. It will require some sensitive settings, to get that bit of over-exposure around the bolt. Otherwise you will end up with a tame blue-ish stripe out of a cloud. (or is that just the tame storms we have here? ).

Maybe there is a safe way to atrackt lightning; I understood active cellphones atrackt it; so if you bind an old one on a pole, wait for the storm to close in enough, and start calling it; you might have a chance :-)

Here's my best lightning pic so far: (should indeed have used more light-sensitive settings...)

(if the pic doesn't work, here's the link to it: http://www.pbase.com/tvpopta/image/36096434)

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 12:59 AM   #14

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:23 PM   #15

It indeed is a stylish way to get rid of those you dislike LOL:-)

Minolta Z1 compared to Panasonic FZ20: Great great great relief...

The Z1 sure's nice; But it has too many inacurately focussed shots. And the AF hunts too often, for sure in dimlight. Manual focussing is a time consuming matter; And because of the smaller, and lower res. display, there's alwaysa margin where you can't tell if you're going any sharper. But it does make a difference on the outcome of the photo. Nothing of this with the FZ20.

On the sad, dark, cloudy days, it's impossible to take handheld telephotos with the Z1. Both because of the slower lens (F/3.5), and the lack of IS. Nothing of this with the FZ20;Now I can go out whenever I want, and return with sharp results.

The FZ20 lens is much sharper. That combined with2 extra MP, it's a massive increase in technical image quality; And more room for cropping and such.

FZ20's macro possibilities are much better; It weighs more, so it's more stable; It's image processing is amazingly fast; It has an even longer zoomrange; More acurate AF; It's minimum shutterspeed is 1/2000 instead of Z1's 1/1000.

But: Minolta Z1's max shutterspeed is 30 seconds; and has the gain-up display.

So, all together it's a minor step-back, and a great leap forwards. I learned the basics of taking pictures with the basic Ricoh RR30; improved with the Z1, and now I may continue learning with a very nicecamera, which is not going to stand between me, and the wanted result anymore

Cheers, GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote