Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:46 PM   #1

I know a number of folks from the land down under post here regularly. Had a burning question I always wanted to know.Do you folks often get into a row down there when playing chess? Here's what I mean...

Suppose you're playing a game of chess with your "mate", and you get him in "check". Per the rules of the chess, you say, "Check, mate". How does the person diffentiate between your simply saying, check, "mate" (as in pal, bud, dude, etc.), and "checkmate", which would end the game? How do you sort this all out? Seems like it would get confusing and cause arguments.

So, how do you determine "check, mate" from checkmate when playing chess in your country? I've thought about this question often (some say I'm obsessed about it) for as long as I can remember!

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:58 PM   #2

LOL :blah: mate, I'm a Kiwi and not an aussie but its something we say all the time as well mate. We just say "Check mate mate" or mate-ess. On most forums I use "M8t" mate. Thats now becoming a habit I guess Nick. So, mate, M8t, M8 or just plaind old "cobber" will do just fine as well :lol:. Now if we call ya a "dag", well thats got two meanings, but generally means you are a funny person or good for a laugh.

So it would go like this, "Corr blinking blimey cobber, you are a bit of a dag mate".

All the bestNick, BTW, I make chess boards by hand mate, M8t, M8, when I don't have much else to do.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:25 PM   #3

OH yeah BTW, how the heck does this work.

"I'm just going outside to take a shot of a rose bud bud. I'll leave the bud here though because I don't want it to interfere while taking the bud shot bud, with a bud".

Huh, yaaaa what !!:-)

Oh and the classic. "Hey pal, I need to leave ya for a second pal, I need to pay, pay pal, pal".

Aww man, major headache time, LOL.

See ya mate :-)
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:42 PM   #4

That's quite a conundrum!

I'm still trying to figure out flotsam from jetsam.
peterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:45 PM   #5

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol!!!

you guys crack me up!

good thing "dude" has no other meaning (at least used meaning...it means something rathing interesting in the dictionary!)

hmm...my dictionary says something different than dictionary.reference.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dude

weird...

lol

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:27 PM   #6

Good question Nick, I may live in Australia but im a Kiwi so I cant really give you a fair dinkum response. Us kiwis like to use mate but I tend to use bro. So every thing becomes "sweet-as bro". Australians also think us kiwis talk really fast but I think its the ozzies who are just thinking too slow!:lol:
NZmacro, its a pity about the cricket, I went to the game. I will post some photos later. Took around 300 photos as we had some great seats!
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:20 PM   #7

I would think that they would say...

Checkmate mate

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:52 PM   #8

Heck the cricket......don't even metion it LOL. :roll::-). I've given up on the black caps TM. They got lucky the other night but didn't really win, the aussie's lost it. There is a subtle difference :-) Look foward to the shots TM. I have to call you TM, I just can't type or print your nick otherwise.

Danny.