Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:42 PM   #1

I recently purchased the Sunpak 383 for use with my FZ20. I was curious what other owners of this combination have been using as their settings on the flash. What F-stop on auto? Auto or manual? I am not familiar with the usage of external flashes so I am learning on the fly. Any tips would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keenan :-)
Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:38 PM   #2

I have the Quantaray Q383 Super. It's exactly the same flash as the Sunpak 383.

If you set your camera to preset for the external flash, your camera's aperture will be locked at f2.8, and the shutter speed will be limited to 1/60 to 1/250 of a second.

If you set your camera to manual for the external flash, the camera aperture and shutter speed will operate normally.

I am not an expert, but going by the instructions that came with the flash, and the section in the camera manual on using an external flash, you should get a basic idea of the settings. I just mess around with different settings and bouncing the flash.

It's really fun to play around with.

I'll try and give you an example...

Camera & flash: in manual.

Camera & flash: ISO set to 100.

Flash: power ratio control set to 1/16.

Flash: look at your f/stop scale.

Camera: set aperture in accourdance with the distance to the subject.

f8.0 - 4 feet

f5.6 - 5 1/2 feet

f4.0 - 8 feet

f2.8 - 11 feet

If using A mode let the camera select the shutter speed.

If in M mode tweek the shutter speed until you get the result you want.

You may have to play around with the white balance... IE... auto, flash, or even set it manually.

Hope this helps. Like I said... I'm no expert.

bobc
Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I was playing around with the camera in preset mode and adjusting the automatic modes and bounce on the camera. This was a living room, low-average light setting and the F2 was a bit too dark while the F4 was a bit too bright. However, while playing with the bouce, I got the F4 to look really good. The F8 was simply way too over exposed, as expected.

I was trying to find the setting in preset for the camera and auto for the flash that would work in "most" situations. If you were giving the camera to someone to take a photo of you, for example.

At my work I am going to be taking portraits of the executives for some of our promotional material. The internal flash is a little too limited so I wanted to fiddle with the 383. I just didn't want to have to take 15 different shots playing with f-stops, bounces, etc. I am sure their patience would run a little thin! The lighting is generally decent around the office. Any tips that might be of use?

I suppose if I were to use aperture priority and set camera according to the flash that would work well. So much to learn. :?

Keenan
Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:14 AM   #4

I just recently got my FZ20 and a Sunpak 383 and went through the same learningcurve. Preset flashmode don`t work well, due to fixed f .2.8 stop.

I now find the flash extremely good with FZ-20 in "A" modeset to the f-stop you choose to use within the tyristor flashranges. My advice for you is to order some Sto-Fen products in order to produce better portraits etc. in your work. Try out Sto-fen #OM-422 Omni Bounce for Sunpak, 383 and the Sto-fen Two way Uni. They will get you better, softer and more pleasing shots. You won`t regret!

http://www.stofen.com/index.htm

puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:16 AM   #5

Hi!

I'm using Sunpak 383 in auto mode, if I haven't got time. The Sunpak is set to ISO50, F1.4; the Panasonic is set to Manual flash, with ISO100, F2.8. With these setting almost every time I get correctly exposured images. I'm using TL8 Tele/Fill kitt with the SP383, for fill flash.
KTTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:13 AM   #6

Puzzle, I've been using my 383 a while, and I was curious about getting a diffuser. You like the results, then? How does it differ from not using the diffuser?
cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:46 PM   #7

This is a Q of like or dislike. Flashhead in position 90 dgrs.gives you bounce light in combination with fill in light. Softer an more natural result. Not to be used in 45 dgr. position, while the diffuserlight wil disturbe the thyristor reading. Two snapshots to give you a technical idea.

PIC 1 No diffuser position 90 dgr. flash head

Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:48 PM   #8

Pic 2 with Sto-fen diffuser
Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:09 PM   #9

Puzzle I am in Norway insunny Bergen he he where dd you get your flash ...eBay?
jesuswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:21 PM   #10

I got itviainternet from B&H Photo Video NY;NY - brought to Oslo by a friend this week! At $69.95 its a nice deal.