Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:43 PM   #1

I'm trying to get a 55mm lens filter for my shiny new FZ3 (I'm in love with this camera, BTW). I took it into a camera shop today and the sales guys was stumped. He tried to twist on a bunch of different filters and none worked. He said that there wasn't enough "threading" on the outside of the lense to have anything twist on.

So is this right? Or did I get an incompetent sales guy? Or do I need some sort of adapter/ring to make the filter work?

I was under the impression that I could just twist on any 55mm lense filterand be able to leave it on at all times even with the lense cap on.

Maybe I misinterpreted something...

Can someone enlighten me here? :?
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2

It does not fit the Lens it fits the supplied adapter. And it is 55mm.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:23 AM   #3

I don't have the Fz3 but I think Fz1 has the same design.
You can't twist the filter directly on the camera len, just only on the adapter.
I hope the image below will help you someway
Basac,

...thanks for your comments to my photo
Attached Images

Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 4:47 AM   #4

Yep. You leave the lens adaptor on the camera and filters/lenses etc just screw into the threads on the end. They are 55mm. ( You need the adaptor on cos when switched on the camera lens extends to just short of the "threads" !) I have a Hoya 55mm UV filter on permanently to protect the actual lens of the camera - and the lens cap still fits!!
I have a question though for other more experienced people. Am thinking of getting the Tcon-17 telephoto converter. Will that screw into the threads of the Hoya filter? ( which seem to me to be only a "turn" or 2?? But they are metal!! Alternative is to take the filter off and screw Tcon into the adaptor threads - "deeper" but these are plastic. Anyone got any thoughts please??
shirleywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:55 AM   #5

Shirley -

fmoore and rezajune are the resident TCON-17 gurus. I don't own one but they're supposed to be very big and heavy. I went to the Olumpus C 210 for my FZ-1 for this reason. With the Z-1, most people seem to buy an adapter made as a side-line from someone in Japan, called the Yoshida adapter. It's like the plastic adapter that comes with the camera but much, much sturdier (metal).

I would PM fmoore, he's a wealth of information on filters and adapters as is rezajune.

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:30 PM   #6

I do not have a FZ1 but I remember people saying they sanded a little off the adapter to make the Tcon 17 thread into the adapter a little further.

But the T con 17 really does not thread into anything very far but the little sanding helps with the FZ1

Here is some talk about it from a while ago.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7005928
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:38 PM   #7

Thanks guys for the info...

Maybe I should have just read the manual... I sifted through it last night and lo and behold, on page 101... it talks about how to use a filter!

But thanks anyway guys!
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 4:31 PM   #8

Thanks Nicktrop for the reply. My camera is the fz3 so I dont think there is any other adaptor but the Panasonic which the camera came with ( unlike fz 1/15/10/20 which I believe are threaded, the fz3 is a kind of "bayonet" fitting on the camera body - so no third party adaptors as far as I know)I dont think there's any need to "sand down" the end of the adaptor cos I understand that unlike the fz1 the adaptor tube threads on the fz3 go right up to the end. I'd still like to use a tcon-17 - as long as I take care I believe it's possible - but still would like to hear from anyone who's "been there" - and whether screw tcon into the plastic adaptor tube threads ( deeper) or into metal UV filter threads (shallower but metal)??? [ but - thinking about it - the latter just means an even heavier weight - tcon plus filter - on the plastic adaptor .......!!?? ] Perhaps I'll just try it and see - and report back to you all in a couple of weeks!!
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:04 PM   #9

Hi,
I've used a TCON17 successfully with my FZ3. I screw it to the front threads of a Hoya UV filter that I keep on the lens adaptor all the time. Although there are not many threads on the TCON17 there seem to be enough to make a good connection onto the metal Hoya threads. The lens is quite heavy in relation to the light weight of the FZ3 but provided I support the TCON17 with one hand I've had no trouble. I usally only use it on a tripod though, and I would not try to carry the camera around too much with the TCON17 attached to it. The Canon TL55 that I bought more recently, on the other hand, is much smaller and lighter and I find it is may be more useful, although it's only x1.4 (the TCON17 is actually about x1.6). Hope that helps.
Ian
ianperegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 2:30 AM   #10

Thanks Ian. That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for. I'm going for a tcon-17. Will post some comments when used it for a while.