Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2004, 6:00 AM   #1

Hi guys i'm not much of a photographer but the photos i shoot in auto come out great and gives me encouragement,i have tried manual mode then shoot the same subject in auto and auto always wins.
Should i forget about manual mode? thanks for any responce.
Raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:30 AM   #2

If you want to shoot in full manual mode (M), you need to understand clearly about Shutter speed (S) and Aperture (A)
In Auto mode, the camera will give you correct Exposure, the photos are clear... but It's not easy for you to make blur the background or freeze moving subjects... ect.

First step, I think you don't need to use in full manual mode (M), you should try to shoot in A mode (Aperture priority) to control the Depth Of Field.
- Small aperture (->f/11=big DOF)
- Wide aperture (->f/2.8=small DOF)
...and when you half press the Shutter button, the camera will automatically choose the right shutter speed.

Just my opinion. Hope this helful

Basac
Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:48 AM   #3

You shoot in manual mode when you want to *change* what the camera decides for itself when in auto mode. Therefore, you have to decide what you wanting to change? If nothing, then don't use manual.

As the above, use aperture priority mode if you want to change the depth of field, or shutter priority if you need to shorten or lengthen the shutter speed. Yes, manual mode allows you to do both, but changing one will cause the need to change the other for correct exposure, and until you really learn photography, you are better off just changing one according to your needs, and letting the camera finish the exposure decision itself.

It sounds like you have a lack of basic photography knowledge (not an insult, just stating observation), but this could be easily remedied by either purchasing a book or two on photography, or by searching out the many online tutorials. Once you understand the relationship between shutter speed and aperture, you will be able to fine-tune your pictures, and also be able to use the manual mode when taking pics in the more unusual situations.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:10 AM   #4

I agree with Basac.

In P mode, the camera makes all the settings for you.

In A mode, you have control over the aperture setting. This is the size of the opening that allows light to hit the sensor.

The higher the setting.

The smaller the opening.

And visa vera.

In S mode, you have control over the shutter speed. This is the amount of time that the sensor is exposed to light during the shot.

The higher the setting.

The longer the exposure time.

And visa versa.

InM mode, you control both settings. When you press the shutter button half way you will see the exposure meter once the camera focuses. This will stay displayed for 10 seconds. You can then adjust your aperture and/or shutter speed until the meter is center on the scale. If you go into the + side of the scale, you are over exposing. If you go to the - side of the scale, you are under exposing.

You can also adjust your ISO setting. This is how sensative the sensor is to light.

The lower the setting, the less sesative the sensor is to light.

The higher the setting, the more sensative the sensor is to light.

Also. The higher the ISO setting, the more noise you will introduce into the image. Noise is not that big a deal, as there are many programs and plug ins that will remove it once you upload the image.

You also have several scene modes as well.

Your best bet is to start off with the A, S, and scene modes. Make mental notes how the camera adjusts the settings in these modes, then try to mimic them in manual mode.

The great thing about this camera is that it gives you complete control, and as you learn more, you can grow into the more advanced settings.

Or...

You can just put it in P mode, and point & shoot.

This is just the basics, and I'm no expert, but I hope this helps to get you started.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 7:51 PM   #5

Thanks guys your comments are apreciated and makes sense.
Raoul is offline   Reply With Quote