Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:48 PM   #1

OPINION NEEDED

What i have is a seres of shots of this newborn geko....I was forced to retouch the color due to the fact that I made a not to good of a call on white balance and lighting ( being to bold ) for my own good.....I have been keeping a watchful eye on the nest and and was hoping to have a shot at shooting the babys hatching from the egg...while i was away from the nest they had hatched.one hour later i was leaving my office i seen one of the babys had perched on aBranch of a small potted scrub not far from the baseboards where the nest is..needless to say i was very excited to see one of them out and about so soon although it does not take them long at all....so i whisked up the potted plant but not to fast as to upset the lil guy and with nota lot of time to spare started shooting the lil guywith not first setting up the lights or having the white balance set properley...dumb calland what i have is a mess with the colors and tones...i can say that i do print a few of my shots with a tonal effect so i can live with the results.what i would like is a A MEN or aNAW DOG that ant working be for i work on the other 10 to 15 shots that are ok.............

sorry for the long post

thx Willow
Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:51 PM   #2

pic 2
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:58 PM   #3

pic 3.....If you will notice on the toes isstill eggsack membrane on them....
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:20 PM   #4

Awesome. Mind sharing a little trade secret and tell us what tonal effect you use? Your posts always have a cinematic quality to them.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:57 PM   #5

I would be interested in seeing a more natural shot to see if I think you gain anything by the tonal effect. My interest in the geko is what does it look like. What color is its eyes, skin , & environment.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 8:45 PM   #6

jimr thx for the comment....the gecko is the only post that i have had to use a tonal effect just to salvage a photo..if it where any thing other than the fact that i liked the idea of a newborn gecko and the good composition of the shot i would just discard them.....

here is a example of what i did....

the first pic is very close to the natural color.

and pic no 2 is where i had changed the white balance (a mistake) so all of the remainingshots look like this (not good)..
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2004, 8:47 PM   #7

pic no 2 change of white balance
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2004, 8:58 PM   #8

Nick..there is a couple of toning filters and actions that i use from time to time in photoshop... only gamma and color balance was used on the 3 shots (only to try to salvage the photos)i needyour opinion on the out come of the results of the attempt to fix them.....

Thx Willow
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:45 PM   #9

Will... call me crazy but I like them all... even the messed up ones. It looks like you applied a filter to them. Know what? Bet these would make fantastic black and whites...
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:36 PM   #10

thx Nick..and guess what i did covert one to BW and it does look nice...i was trying any thing i am really upset that i goofed up on the camera setting....