Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2004, 1:40 PM   #1

I have never really used post editing software before. I am trying to learn some basics to help enhance photos that may not have had the best exposures at the time they were taken. I worked on this previously posted picture of a Turkey Vulture because it represented a challenge. The black feathers seem like a hard thing to expose correctly and not loose other details. Here are to post processed pictures from Elements. The first I only used the Smart Auto Fix to enhance the picture. The second picture I used the Adjust Smart Fix. Are there any better ways to adjust the picture in post editing? Let me know what you think. It seems that there is vast potential to correct for many human errors in exposures with this software.
Thanks,
smac

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 1:41 PM   #2

Using Adjust Smart Fix

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:00 PM   #3

Gotta use it with digitals. Here's my workflow

->crop-> auto adjust levels (same as "smart fix" in elements) -> Nic sharpener (unsharpen mask utility plug-in for PS, can use software's utility. There's an art to sharpening!) -> print or save.

Big improvement. Most of it is done with auto adjust or smart fix but sharpening helps a lot too. Just remember to sharpen as the last step before printing or saving.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:18 PM   #4

Nice vulture~

I never used PS Element, but in PS you can change the shadow/highlight setting to lite up the dark area of the picture. Personally I don't like changing the shadow/highlight setting much, since in reality you really can't have every details in the photo when the sun is at the undesired position. The brightened object vs the light source just looks a bit unnatural (IMHO).

I edit your first photo by adjusting the shadow setting, levels a bit, add a bit of saturation and balance the photo by adding some red.
Attached Images

akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:37 PM   #5

Nick, akirabbq
Thanks to both of you. Now I have a good starting place.

akirabbq, Thanks for the re-edit to show what you were talking about. I will see if I can duplicate the result with Elements.

Happy Holidays,
smac