Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:55 PM   #1

I haven't seen a lot on the fz15 - Everybody seems to have the FZ20. I know it is 4meg vs 5meg - but - I don't think I will see the difference betwenn the two. The price is about $375 vs $525 - so I can't see anything else to justify the fz20 - I also won't use the hot shoe or movie function (have a camcorder for that). Any help - I am thinking of pulling the trigger tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 5:43 PM   #2

i say go for the fz15
TheDude86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 5:46 PM   #3

Think forward; Think there will come a time that you will need these extra's?

I'me using my FZ20 "clean"for now (no filters, no additional flash unit, etc), but I really like taking pictures, and want to grow. So I know there will come a time that I'll need these things. Than it's handy to have the posibilities.

Remember;Higher resolution always means sharper pictures, more cropping / other editing possibilities, and larger prints.

Good luck! GB

edit-> I don't know why they put that movie function on it; totally useless :-)
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:06 PM   #4

greenbaron wrote:
Quote:
Remember;Higher resolution always means sharper pictures, more cropping / other editing possibilities, and larger prints.
Higher resolution is not going to give you sharper pictures. More cropping, yes.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'd choose the fz15 if movie w/sound and an external flash shoeare notof interest. The fz15 and fz20 use the same lens and sensor so there is the potential for more noise with the fz20 since it is putting 25% more info on the same size sensor. The Venus II processor's noise reduction will take care of that but there is a trade-off which could result in a LESS sharp picture from that added resolution.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Fred

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"PS One other consideration is the optional wiredremote shutter jack on the fz20 and notthe fz15.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:46 PM   #5
scb

My reason for going with the FZ20 was the hot shoe. I really want to be able to use a bounce flash and try to improve indoor flash shots. Maybe I could have done it with a slave flash, but I like the idea of getting a Sunpak 383 and being able to attach it and use it. After I get a chance to really use this option, I'll have a better idea as to if the difference was worth it...along with the added megapixel!!

From what I've seen....either camera will take one heck of a picture if in the hands of someone who has learned to use the camera to its fullest potential!

Steve
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:13 AM   #6

I'm thinking that with the 12x zoom - I should not have to crop anything I want to shoot. I think it is always better to have more optical zoom to "magnify" the area of interest as opposed to cropping and filling. Anybody have any experience with Ibuydigital for purchases ?
sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:21 AM   #7

No experience with Ibuydigital but they appear to be very good. I purchased my FZ20 from Digital Megastore (similar type place)and had a great experience. Placed order Friday after Thanksgiving, received tracking info on Sunday and my camera on Wednesday. No hassles or calls wanting me to purchase accessories. Hope this help!!!

JED
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:25 PM   #8

If they don't pul the bait and switch on you. Like haveing to pay extra for a warrantee, or buyinga 250 dollar 1 gb sd card, you know the drill, or it is not in stock etc.
GnomonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:24 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Higher resolution is not going to give you sharper pictures.* More cropping, yes.*

The fz15 and fz20 use the same lens and sensor so there is the potential for more noise with the fz20 since it is putting 25% more info on the same size sensor.* The Venus II processor's noise reduction will take care of that but there is a trade-off which could result in a LESS sharp picture from that added resolution.
It's ironic but I agree with Fred. Again, while they're all great cameras, and I've seen the posts, I just don't see how the hyell they crammed so many pixels into the sensor on the 20. I have seen other threads that discussed the 20's images being a little softer than the others due - probably and ironically, to the Venus working overtime to remove the noise from that extraneous pixel that really doesnt buy you anything.

I like all the Lumixes but the 20's images seem a very, very little softer and more somehow "processed" to me.

If the 150 or so didn't matter, I would go with the 20 over the 15 for the hot shoe and I actually do use video capture and couldn't imagine not having sound. If I wanted a "bigger Lumix" I would rank them as follows...

FZ-10 (significantly lower street price, prefer 4 megapixels, has hot shoe, and sound(!) with vid capture)

FZ-20

FZ-15

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:58 AM   #10

I went to a fry's electronics today and tested both cameras..took my own sd cards... at first he guys was a little leniant about what I was doing but I had a .pdf manual printed and atleast looked like I knew what I was doing. I cant tell the difference between the fz15 and fz20... The burst mode is faster on the 15 but picture quality is the same on both... I went with the fz15.... I decided against the fz10 because both the 15 and 20 have ED glass... the 10 doesn't. I bought mine at www.Buterflyphoto.comcamera and 3 day shipping was 390.90 and i bought an extra batter at www.batterybarn.com for 39.00... over the holidays I'm going to get some lenses and "estras" for it...

good luck and if you don't want movies the fz15 is a better deal.. I have a movie camera for movies and it takes bad photo's.

Ernie
TopSpin80 is offline   Reply With Quote