Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:25 AM   #1

I recently purchased a couple cheaper UV filters for my FZ20. I purchased a S&W coated UV filter and a Hoya standard UV filter (I believe not coated). Anyway, I did the touchy feely thing and they feel about the same for weight and look the same thickness. I held them both at an angle to the light and the S&W seems to glare less. Any thoughts as to whether this actually means anything? Any other tests that would be useful?

Keenan
Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:39 PM   #2

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:12 PM   #3

I don't burn easily and its winter here in Canada so that strategy might not work so well. :G

I was looking more for a lens protector than a UV filter. Also, these two were still less than one of the Hoya MC filters. I haven't heard anything bad about the S&W so I thought I would give it a try. I am familiar with Hoya so I ordered one as well. Call it my own cheap test.

I haven't noticed any difference between the two other than the glare and they don't seem to affect the picture quality any differently.

Being new to photography, I was just trying to learn tricks of the trade so to say.

Keenan
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:27 PM   #4

Your test worked.. the multi coated one should have less glare.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:00 PM   #5

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:00 AM   #6

I am in Edmonton Alberta. If I went straight East I would get into the Churchhill area. As it is, we only have the Rockies 3 hours west. :-)

I guess it doesn't hurt to have a backup UV filter ... it only cost me $10 so I am not going to complain.

Keenan