Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:05 PM   #1

Hello

with my other Camera , my pictures turned always out in the size of 80KB

with my New Camera FZ20 the picture size is always around the 200 KB, I resized them to 640x480 , my Problem is how do I get them in the size around the 50 KB - 75KB without loosing the Quality of the picture.

thanks
color is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:38 PM   #2

There are two ways to do this: in the camera and with your photo editor. In the camera lower the picture size setting and/or lower the quality setting. Either of these will lower the file size - image size does it reducing the number of pixels, and quality settings do it by increasing the compression ratio of the jpeg. Take some sample pictures and see what combination works best for you. Personally, I would just reduce the image size and leave the (quality) compression high.

There are various ways to do this in the editor. Photoshop has a module called Image Ready that displays the original image and the image you are altering in a split screen. You tweak the compression until you strike the correct balance between visible quality differences in the original image and the image you're "reducing" (compressing). Consult the help files of your photo editor.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:49 PM   #3

You seem to be starting out with relatively crappy quality. Best quality shots from the FZ20 are in the 2-2.5Mb range. My advice would be to get a decent memory card and use best quality and full size. Those images will be of value to you someday.

If you want smaller photos for posting or e-mailing I would just downsize and lower the JPG quality. The free Irfanview is excellent for that. Open one of the images in Irfanview and go File>Thumbnails. File>select all in thumbnails. Right click on one and "Start batch dialog". You can select a size and quality. Make sure to save them in another folder so you don't lose your high quality originals.

Reduced to 640 X 480 you can adjust the JPG quality to get your 50-75k. Don't save the EXIF as that increases the file size and isn't needed for e-mail or most posts. Irfanview gives that choice. Quality should be OK at that size.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:55 PM   #4

slipe wrote:
Quote:
My advice would be to get a decent memory card and use best quality and full size.
... or you can do that. :G
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:13 AM   #5

Nick don't you just love Irfanview..i have been using it for eons it is great !!!!!!!!!

and its FREE too

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote