Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:49 PM   #1

I had a horrible dream the other night that our house burned down. We all got out alright... but I was devestated over the loss of our pictures, home movies, baby keepsakes, etc.

So now, I'm on a mission to put all these things together in some sort of fire vault just in case the worst happens.

What's nice is that with our new computer, I can covert old VHS home movies to DVD, and now with the recent FZ3 purchase (our first digicam), we can put our pics on CD's - all of which won't take up too much space.

But what I'm finding is that not just *any* fire safe will do . It HAS to be a MEDIA fire safe to keep CD's, photo negatives, etc protected down to certain interior temperatures... which costs a lot more money.

Ya know... if our house really were to burn down, I wouldn't care about all the "stuff". Who cares about furniture, clothes, expensive toys, etc. Iexpect insurance would more thancover these things. But all the money in the world wouldn't be able to replace our pictures. My own mother lost everything to a house fire when she was young. The only pictures she has are ones given out to other family members. I don't want this to happen to us.

So... do any of you have any sort of fire protection for your pics?

maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:01 PM   #2

While I never really thought about it, since it is data, a quick cheap fix is to burn back-up copies of your photo CD-Roms or DVDs, and keep them with a trusted friend, relative, or neighbor... or a PO Box(?). That is to say, make a back-up copies and keep them off-site, just like companies do with their sensitive data files. Personally, I think I would do this rather than go to the trouble and expense of a media safe, safe.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:33 PM   #3

There are several less thought-of ways to do this as well.

Since they're all digital, upload them to Shutterfly. They keeps your albums forever AFAIK.

You could also get a cheap domain and webspace, then host them there on a personal, password protected page (so you don't eat bandwidth).

Then, when your house burns down, assuming you realize it's not a dream, and you leave, all you have to do is get on the internet and get them back.

The thing with my pictures is that I use Shutterfly to develop them. Thus, any pictures deemed worth keeping were uploaded to shutterfly and I don't have to worry about any except the most recent.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:53 PM   #4
Administrator

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
There are several less thought-of ways to do this as well.

Since they're all digital, upload them to Shutterfly. They keeps your albums forever AFAIK.

You could also get a cheap domain and webspace, then host them there on a personal, password protected page (so you don't eat bandwidth).

Then, when your house burns down, assuming you realize it's not a dream, and you leave, all you have to do is get on the internet and get them back.

The thing with my pictures is that I use Shutterfly to develop them. Thus, any pictures deemed worth keeping were uploaded to shutterfly and I don't have to worry about any except the most recent.
This is risky (relying on an online service to have copies of your photos).

More than one such service has gone out of business. I can remember a couple of years ago when Photopoint was one of the most popular services around. But, with no warning, they closed the doors (web site was no longer available). Fortunately, some of the ex-employees were kind enough to try and get photos for subscribers, and agreed to make CD's for them (for a fee). But, this may not always happen.

I've seen more recent discussions about other services going out of business, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:21 PM   #5

I thought about making copies and keeping them off-site, which would be a nice solution for pics taken from thispoint forward. But we are just now entering the digital word... which means our existing filmpictures (literally hundreds of them)are in several bulky photo albums, with negatives in a shoe box.

I forgot to mention that I also have over a dozen personal journals I would want to keep"fire-free".(I am now doing journal entries via computer and saving on disc.)

I guess if I had a scanner, I could go through the tedious task of scanning those negatives and even scanning thousands of pages from my journals.

Wow... that would take a long time.

Hmmmmm.... maybe I should just get a scanner.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:49 PM   #6

Yes, definitely offsite is better than online storage.

Your offsite site should be, of course, with a friend or family member.

You could have online storage as your backup to your offsite.

Also, as you take lots of dig pics, go thru each set as soon as you can...keep the keepers and your editsand delete the rest.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:15 PM   #7

or we could bury them in the back yard !!!!!!

well the old timers done that with there money right????

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:45 PM   #8

Was talking to fellow waitee at Fry's Electronics on Black Friday. He somehow used plastic pipe & his digital camera to take pictures of his slides so he could put them on cd because scanner was so slow. Not having slides I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. However, while I did scan mine & it was slow. I've had good results taking photos of photos.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 2:04 AM   #9

Uhmm.. maybe a trip to Disney might help you relax and get rid of the nightmare..

I would go for a online storage like http://www.xdrive.com/.. so convenient..but of course there is a price to pay ...

or as the others suggest .. do it offsite.. and store the images on a DVD iso of CD.. much more Data and less discs to buy... And iso keeping it with someone .. go to your local bank and open a locker.. and store it there...Safe & Sound... unless the bank has a fire!! Probability of that is 1 in a trillion.. on the same day..
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:05 AM   #10

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm checking with our bank to see how much they charge to rent some of their "space". If it's too pricey, I might just leave duplicates at my mother's house 3hours away.

I think I'm going to get a regular fire safe anyway... that way I can keep other things protected. Those media safes are really pricey.

On a side note: our oven caught fire the other day. And now it STAYS at like 400 degrees even when it's turned off. Had to find the little switch on the circuit breaker to cut off all juice to the thing. Got someone coming out to look at it today.

And then last week, our heater went out. The service guys checked it, got it to work but said that our unit and wiring wasn't "up to codes". Now that's peace of mind!!

See, I don't think I'm too paranoid about this whole fire thing.