Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:33 PM   #1

Nothing new and its all been done before. Since DOF has come up thought I would post this. Not sure if I really should to be honest but here goes.

Taking a shot of a miniture pisitil inside a tiny flower to see pollen we end up with a subject that would be lucky to be around 1/2 mm across. Problem of course is DOF. This is using the FZ10 at F/8 and an added Canon 100mm with another F/8. Yes it does increase DOF significantly. However, its never enough for such a tiny subject as pollen at this ratio.

Heres the first shot.

You can see at the back, its all blurred.... right. Hmmm ok, we now keep the camera in the same position, re-focus forward and take 2 more shotsat different selective focus points.

Taking or masking certain points we add the images and merge certain parts together.

This is the result of 3 images treated in this way.

Now front to back of the pollen is seen and sharp. DOF fall off at the base can be blamed on perspective.

So there ya go, the combination of 3 images to get one shot. Microscopic shooters use this technique as well through microscopes. Yes an old trick like I said and do we use this on insect shots, I aint gonna tell you. There are a few around though thatdo :roll:

All the best folks, now do I post it or not...awww heck why not.

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:43 PM   #2

Thanks Danny, astronomy photographers use that techniquetoo. Not for DOF but for parts of the photo that have blown out high lights.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Thanks Danny, astronomy photographers use that technique too. Not for DOF but for parts of the photo that have blown out high lights.
Thats right they do too. I think they use it for B/W as well. I saw someone who took something like 20 photos of the moon and brought them all into one. What a diffrence it made.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:00 AM   #4

I think it applies to something like digital blending.

more in depth at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:05 AM   #5

Danny, how did you make the pana to focus with that additional lens attached ?

I tried to add the reverse 50mm lens for macro without any success for focussing.
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:49 AM   #6

Jonathan, the focus ring on the FZ10 does change focus even with a reverse 50mm. The trick is to turn the ring until the front part is in focus, that should be the very front tip. Now when we turn the focus ring, it should focus to the back. If you have it around the other way and the focus is on the furthest point and that point happens to be at the front tip, it won't allow focus to go back.

Heck that sounds confusing, LOL. So the camera has to be in the rightposition and the focus ring set to the right position, the front tip, for this to work at higher ratios.

Sorry Jonathan, sounds more complicated than it actually is mate. It does work though.

Danny.

Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:29 PM   #7

Thank you Dan,

I'll try your tips when I get home.
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote