Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 16, 2004, 4:04 PM   #1

Hi,

well I'm new in this forum after spending the last year in the S5000.net forum with my Fuji S7000 which I'm selling right now on ebay to get a nother camera with a faster lens, more zoom and less shutter lag. I came down to two cameras, the FZ20 and the Nikon 8800. I just today hold both in my hands and I have to say the Nikon is the more "sexy" camera but of cause that should not be a reason for decission making but it also has a time lab mode which I really would like to try, if I use it later on is a different storry. Of cause it's less zoom but more pixel (so you can zoom in in post) and so on. Anyway, can somebody give me some good reasons to make up my mind, because I'm a kind of lost.

Thank you so much

Tom
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 4:36 PM   #2

Here's what I would suggest:

1)Throw all things technical and pixel related out the window.

2)Read the threads on this forum - spend 1/2 hour or an hour so. Get a good sense of those who post here.

3)Then go over the Steve's Nikon forum. Do the same thing. Don't worry about what model they're talking about in either case.

Then ask yourself two questions:

1. Which group seems to be having more fun with their camera?

2. Which group posts more pics (gets more use out of their camera?)

And let the answer to these questions guide your decision, rather than having your head spin round-n-round with differences in features and specs.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 4:58 PM   #3

Interesting way of looking at that Nick. Never actually thought about it until you mentioned it. Very interesting in fact. I already think I know the answer in that case.

Getting back to the tech junk, which I must admit I do love. Both cameras are simply superb IMHO. What I've done for any camera I've thought of getting, is to D/L from Steve's samples here, the brick building shot he has. Its a very constant shot and offers excellent comparisons within that shot. The 8800 shows almost amazing details, so does the FZ20. Zoom right into the bricks, the chimney and the details on the left hand power pole. Other than that, I don't really know how to tell the difference.

Both superb cameras IMO and I would be happy to get either one tomorrow to be honest. I would like to play with the 8800 for just a week. :-)

All the best andour mate Nick there makes some interesting points.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:13 PM   #4

The Nikon is f5.2 at 10X zoom where the FZ20 is f2.8 at 12X. At almost 2 f-stops slower the Nikon uses up most of the stabilization advantage. Because of the larger lens the FZ20 flash has a 23 foot range at full zoom where the Nikon is only 10 feet. The FZ20 has a better burst mode and is ready for another burst very quickly where the Nikon has to digest the images – like 41 seconds compared to about 3 seconds. The Nikon doesn't show the focus distance in manual focus and the viewfinder doesn't zoom so you can focus. The FZ20 doesn't show the focus distance either but zooms so you can focus.

There is a lot to like about the Nikon. It has a higher quality EVF. It will take 60 seconds of 640 X 480 movies at 30 fps – enough in a digicam IMO. It has a fully articulating LCD. The EVF and LCD gain up in low light where the FZ20 doesn't. It has raw mode, but the cycle time is to long. It has 8Mp but is noisy.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:33 PM   #5

Alvitdk,

I think what you are seeing from the post so far is that the people in this forum are picture people not camera people. Let me explain. The focus here tends to be the results one can get from using the camera. We are all interested in quality, features, fun, the end result, value.

On those counts it's very hard to beat the Panasonic line-up. This very question was asked just the other day in the Nikon forum.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=21

As everyone has said. You can't go wrong with either. See how they feel and go with your gut.

-Brett

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:51 PM   #6

Heck, I just looked at a few posts in other forums as Nick suggested, ahhhh yeah, I'll stay here thanks. :-)
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:38 AM   #7

Uhmmm "sexy" camera... hope you have better luck when it comes to a woman..as not all sexy women turn out to be what your looking for...
Just kiddin.. go and buy the Panasonic.. you wont regret it.. and if you like holding something sexy in your hand...then add a huge zoom to it... cant be anything sexier... :roll:

fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:20 PM   #8

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
Heck, I just looked at a few posts in other forums as Nick suggested, ahhhh yeah, I'll stay here thanks. :-)
Yes, that forum is filled with "Nikonians", they are from another planet.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:47 PM   #9

:lol::lol:... a strange way to find out a good camera, but very interesting idea Nick.
I have a CP8700 (not 8800) and It give good results too, but one thing I don't like is the autofocus much slower than the FZ in dim light (may be 3 times).

Good luck and have a nice day everyone
(6:40 am)
Basac,
Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:45 PM   #10

OK,

thank you everybody for the great advise. After browsing for hours and day(s) in all possible forums as well as at dpreview I came to the conclusion that if I have to spend that much money I might just go with a small but good DSLR and ordered the Pentax *ist DS for 829.- plus 240.- for a 28-300mm lens. Of cause it's much more than the Panasonic but size wise not much different and better (less) noise on higher ISO settings than either of the Nikon or Panasonic. Hopefully this will be the last camera for a couple of years and as good as most reviews I've read.

Thanks again and happy holidays to all of you.

Tom
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote