Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:03 PM   #1

Hi,
I have just ordered a Kingmax 512 MB 60x SD card from a internet store here in Australia. I got a call last night from the store saying they were out of stock and that they were not able to get any more as production was about to stop. After having a look at internet stores in Australia all of they say that their 512 MB cards are out of stock!
Just thought I would let you know.
Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:35 PM   #2

thx monkey
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:56 AM   #3

I have a suspicion that you are correct. Newegg's price has gone up $20.00 on the 1gb card, with only one per customer allowed. Memory4less seems to have the best price currently.

As an aside, I didn't realize how fast this card is until I compared it to the Panasonic, Sandisk, and Kingston cards I have. No comparison to the Kingmax
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:43 AM   #4

Well, I'll just consider myself lucky for successfully orderingone a couple weeks ago. Got a 512MB Kingmax Platinum card from newegg for $39 + shipping. Maybe I should've gotten 2?
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 3:02 PM   #5

I just got a 512mb in the mail today from Egghead. Went to order another but it appears that on both Egghead and Memory4Less they are no longer available. I wouldn't have gotten the first one if not for this forum, so thanks.
TommyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:10 PM   #6

Just checked NewEgg and they show a 512 Kingmax SD as in stock but only 2 to a customer and upped the price to $55.

They show the 1 Gig as out of stock but have an eta of 12/22/04. So it looks as if they will get some more. Also, the price on that is DOWN 6 bucks from yesterday.

I ordered a 512MB and a 256MB yesterday from NewEgg and they just shipped. I guess it may be a case of get 'em while you can or just Monkey and the Aussies are out of stock for a while.
Jering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:55 PM   #7

Take heart Monkey,

Just a guess but perhaps KingMax is going to spend their time producing their next generation product:

"These high-speed MMC’s are the world’s fastest flash memory card at the moment, and Kingmax is promoting the product to the mobile phone and DSC markets.... The functions and features of these MMCs will surely be the best solutions for digital imaging and mobile phone applications." and at today's prices!!!

They are already in production it says. This news was dated Dec 14, 2004. That is only 3 day old news. Notice it says WORLD'S FASTEST FLASH MEMORY, not MMC memory. Says it will be backwards compatible to all including SD cards. And we thought MMC was so slow.

Perhaps I should have waited to buy my SD cards?????

This info was from their corporate site. Might be interesting to say the least. Here's a link to this info:

http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/news/news..._p20041214.htm
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:45 PM   #8

Hmm but the new one seems much faster than their previous generation SD

Quote:
In order to fulfill the demand for high-speed data storage of various digital devices and mobile phones, the maximum transfer rate of MMCplus and MMCmobile running at 26MHz and 52MHz and 8-bit can reach 26Mbps and 52Mbps, respectively. Moreover, both MMCplus and MMCmobile have perfect backward compatibility. That is to say, they are totally compatible with MMC's of older generations and even SD, miniSD, MMC and RS-MMC.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:58 PM   #9

Yes, smilepak, that is the way I read it. Interesting, yes? Seems like they found the MMC to be a better way to make the flash memory faster.