Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:17 PM   #1

My story is alike many others . Its my first digital cam, 7 months of hard surfing on internet, looking for reviews, looking for prices, looking for the impossible. A great camera for a not high expensive price. After all, it was possible, and the first sight whit the design of the Lumix FZ20 ended up in a strong passion. The words "Leica" in that lens also helped a lot i confess . The reviews and the forums and the unique rare passion of the proud owners of Lumix's did the rest . As any begginer i only had eyes for the most recent model, the FZ20. Lately i discovered the sad new on www.pbase.com and on this forum too, that the FZ10 builts perfect photos, much better than the FZ20 Its facts, we have to face this. Panasonic forgot a bit about the quality of image on this new FZ20 features. You people say its because the increase of Pixels whit the same sensor. FZ20 also dont allow to work whit resolution of 4 Megapixels. My camera arrives tomorrow, and i am a bit sad because all my researches failed somewhere, somehow. Thank you for reading me, sorry for the long text, sorry for my english. Thank you Lumix owners
jorgecarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:39 PM   #2

I have owned my FZ20 for about 3 months now. I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the FZ20 is a great camera, as are all the Fz's.

The only thing is that it incorporates a little more noise into the pictures at higher ISO settings. Noise is not a problem as it can be removed easily.

The picture quality is great, and has been said to be the best big zoom camera on the market in proffessional reviews.

You need to look at some of the samples on this site and read some of the posts. Every camera has issues, and you will not find the perfect camera.

But with the FZ20, or any lumix camera, you will have the best & most fun big zoom camera on the market today.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:28 PM   #3

Thank you Bob. I discovered this site 3 days ago, and i am reading it carefully, almost post by post
Since i put my first post, 4 hous ago, i did nothing but reading our forum (i was on page 15) and surfing on other relative links. And of course i "know" you well already, it seems. Now for my surprise you are commenting MY post, wow
You know, i realized that its not the noise that affects me, but its exactly where people and reviewrs praise my FZ20; the Sharpness ! I find the FZ10 photos sharper and whit more colour contrast, not so blur as the FZ20.
Tomorrow (today, since its 4AM here ) i will take my first shot and finally i will see whit my own eyes the real thing that matters, my shots .
Thank you Bob for the hours of learning and joy of this last 4 or 5 hours in my bedroom.
I go sleep now dreaming of wonderfull photos i will built soon
Hugs, Jorge. Ah, im from Portugal, so sorry for my english
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:21 AM   #4

Best thing is to actually go and try the Cameras out for Pic Quality... I got a FZ20 so cant say anything bout the others except that they are of the same family and must be good in their own capacities..
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 3:24 PM   #5

jorgecarvalho wrote:
Quote:
My story is alike many others . Its my first digital cam, 7 months of hard surfing on internet, looking for reviews, looking for prices, looking for the impossible. A great camera for a not high expensive price. After all, it was possible, and the first sight whit the design of the Lumix FZ20 ended up in a strong passion. The words "Leica" in that lens also helped a lot i confess . The reviews and the forums and the unique rare passion of the proud owners of Lumix's did the rest . As any begginer i only had eyes for the most recent model, the FZ20. Lately i discovered the sad new on http://www.pbase.com and on this forum too, that the FZ10 builts perfect photos, much better than the FZ20 Its facts, we have to face this. Panasonic forgot a bit about the quality of image on this new FZ20 features. You people say its because the increase of Pixels whit the same sensor. FZ20 also dont allow to work whit resolution of 4 Megapixels. My camera arrives tomorrow, and i am a bit sad because all my researches failed somewhere, somehow. Thank you for reading me, sorry for the long text, sorry for my english. Thank you Lumix owners

That might be true, but the reason is IMO different:

FZ10 has been out for more than a year, so many persons have this and experimented with this camera and addirional lenses. There are great pics from this camera on PBase and other similar sites.

On the other hand FZ20 is 4 months new, and most of the persons who have FZ10 did not take FZ20... That's it.

Maybe the noise will be lower, ISO 50 vs ISO 80, but the FZ20 haS 1 MORE mp AND more efficient Venus engine. I am sure that before next Summer, the great pics from FZ20 will have reached if not surpassed those from FZ10.

I am going to buy FZ20 next week, and you'll hera soon from me.

But even if I am sure FZ20 is better, I would not buy it if I had FZ10 already...

FraF

http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:56 PM   #6

Narmer, you made a interesting comment . Even i thought about that already, that people are still getting used to the new settings and new features of the new born camera FZ20.
But you know, my heart bleeds when i see the galleries on www.pbase.com and notice that any blind whit an FZ10 on his hands can make good shots. Lovely shots. On the other hand, i see the FZ20 photos so, so, so soft, maybe whit more accurate colours, but whit not that contrast and sharpness that my eyes like to watch. I believe that this is a personal matter of taste too
By the way, my cam was to arrive today, but the firm who should bring it got lost on the road ! This is unbelieveble ! Only in Portugal this things happens !
Thank you Narmer, and thank you to all that lose time explaining things to other people
I hope you have more luck than me in your delivery !

Jorge Carvalho