Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:10 AM   #1

Hi all.

I don't know who sent me this link in my mail and I wish he/she didn't .. I clicked on it and my world around me changed.. Utter depression and remorse on what lies out there ...

I now ponder a thought on justhow these people can take such pics in the name of photography / photojournalism.. or even fame !!!!!

www.ogrish.com is the link.. but be warned its terribly graphic... and you will get severe bouts of depression after viewing some of the content.....

If you want delete this post...but again its amazes one how people can twist a beautiful hobby like photography into this... I can understand the professional aspects.. awee.....

fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:18 PM   #2

I saw the content warning for this site. Although I didn't bother, sometimes I wonder if we don't sanitize the world too much, and it doesn't give our leaders a realistic picture of the horror and brutality of war, and the barbarism that still exists in the world. I wonder if John Wayne-ish unrealistic portrails dont do more harm sometimes than the harsh realities shown graphically on sites like these.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:00 PM   #3

Unfortunately,

I agree with NickTrop.

I remember seeing in school back home in Hawai'iactual filmingofthe atrocities ofconcentration camps in Germany and the aftermath of the H-Bomb that was dropped in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

My stepmother is from Nagasaki and was fortunate to have survived that awful event. She lost all her friends and everything she knew growing up as a young child. Some of what she described brought back memories of how brutal we can be as I had seen earlier in those films.

We are capable of anything when our heart and minds are put to the task.

I appreciate the beautiful photos that are posted here and that is why I enjoy this forum, but that website is only a small portion of what is out there in this sometimes harsh, brutal world.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:35 PM   #4

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
My stepmother is from Nagasaki and was fortunate to have survived that awful event.
If interested...

Great book: Hiroshima by John Hersey. Short book. Started reading it on a flight. Stopped reading it mid-way through because I was concerned I would get inappropriately emotional on a plane (very unganster-like). Finished it in my hotel room.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Powerful, sad film: Black Rain (1989 D. Shohei Imanura)
Beautifully photographed in B&W.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Watch out when they start throwing terms meant to dehumanize human suffering, terms like "collateral damage".

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:44 PM   #5

There is a lot of evil in the world. That's for sure. I wonder if this world is a test. If you pass you get the FZ of your choice, and get to take pics of nice things.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:35 PM   #6

probably the same mentality that led to the soldiers photographing themselves abusing Iraqi prisoners.. some people just seem to gravitate to violence, death and destruction. Sort of like a train wreck - you want to look away, but you can't? Same thing. Personally, I'd much rather expend my photographic efforts and meager talents on things like wildlife, beautiful landscapes, and lovely women!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote