Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:03 PM   #1
kaw

i am looking at about 300 pics my dad took on his fz1 and it appears most have red eye.

any suggestions for him?

thanks in advance
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:12 PM   #2

The smaller the anglebetween lightsource and lens, the bigger the chance on redeye; I think the use of an external flash should make a difference. I've got the same problem with my fz20, and before with my Minolta Z1 too.

This is just stuff I learned from browsing different photography sites, have no XP with a solution

Cheers, GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:20 PM   #3

kaw wrote:
Quote:
i am looking at about 300 pics my dad took on his fz1 and it appears most have red eye.

any suggestions for him?

thanks in advance
Just use a program to fix it. There are plenty of free ones out there that do just that.

In the future use the red-eye reducing flash mode. (assuming that's on the 1)
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:27 PM   #4

As greenbaron pointed out it is due to the proximity of the flast to the lens and is commom to most cameras with onboard flash, most of my photos of the children have red eve I even have one with green eye, Red-Eye Fl;ash setting can help but I hate this it takes too long to take a shot, An off camera flash will improve most shots especially if you use bounce, it will also give much better light.

The other option as pointed out is software.
pwiles1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 3:10 PM   #5

I have an FZ-1 and yes, it produces a surprising amount of red-eye. It seems to occur most often in children. I used software that clears it right up but now use an external flash - Vivitar DF200. I have it attached to an L-bracket so it is positioned over the top of the camera. Works a charm. Still get red-eye occasionally, but the incidents have been reduced dramatically, and then I just use the software to remove it. (Not sure if this is true or not but I recall that some people are more prone to red-eye than others, and childern are more prone than adults... Just from experience, my 9 yr old daughter seems to have it in most of her shots taken with a flash)

The DF200 has - naturally, made a big difference in the quality of the lighting in indoor pictures overall.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 4:02 AM   #6

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Not sure if this is true or not but I recall that some people are more prone to red-eye than others, and childern are more prone than adults... Just from experience, my 9 yr old daughter seems to have it in most of her shots taken with a flash

As a rule Children and Adults If they have consumed Alcahol are more prone, something to do witjh the Iris ability to react to the light or something along those lines, I have 2 kids 2 and 5 I do not think I have a single Photo with on-board Flash that does not have red-eye, recently purchased an Off board and this works much better.
pwiles1968 is offline   Reply With Quote