Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:43 PM   #1

I have an FZ1. I'm planning to add an Olympus c210 TCON and, alternatively, a Nikon 4t Macro lens. I have 55mm UV and Circular Polarizing filters; both of theadd-on lenses require a 55mm to 52mm step DOWN ring in order to fitthe camera.

Should I mount the protective UV filter on the 55mm (stock) adapter tube before mounting the add-on lenses, or should I buy a 52mm to 55mmstep UP ring so that I can mount them at theend of the lens sequence, rather than at the beginning?

Thanks much.

Jane
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:54 PM   #2

Jane -The uv filter can go at either end but I believe it is recommended that a polarizer be the outermost filter on a stack. Perhaps someone can confirm that.
This is somewhat of a moot point in that1) it would be unlikely for you to use a polarizer filter witha macroconverter and 2) the c210 does not have front threads for receiving a filter, anyway - although you can pressure fit a 55mm dummy filter onto the front of the c210 after filing the male threads slightly.
So,I wouldn't worry about getting yet another step ring.
Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:57 PM   #3

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Jane - The uv filter can go at either end but I believe it is recommended that a polarizer be the outermost filter on a stack. Perhaps someone can confirm that.
This is somewhat of a moot point in that 1) it would be unlikely for you to use a polarizer filter with a macro converter and 2) the c210 does not have front threads for receiving a filter, anyway - although you can pressure fit a 55mm dummy filter onto the front of the c210 after filing the male threads slightly.
So, I wouldn't worry about getting yet another step ring.
Fred
Well, that's a relief. One less thing to buy at this point!

But, seriously, how do you "pressure fit" a filter as you allude to? You mean sand down the male threads on the polarizer and force them onto the front of the c210. That sounds risky!

Anyway, now I can happily order my lens! :-)

I can hardly wait to get started with macro and close ups of wildlife! (Including human wildlife, I expect!)

Thanks for all your help with this set up scenario.

Jane
Old Dec 17, 2004, 7:28 PM   #4

Pressure fit the 55mm dummy filter (ex, glass removed from 55mmdamaged uv filter) to the front of the c210 after filing the threads a little to reduce the diameter. You then have 55mm threads for attaching other filters/converters.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:10 PM   #5

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Pressure fit the 55mm dummy filter (ex, glass removed from 55mm damaged uv filter) to the front of the c210 after filing the threads a little to reduce the diameter. You then have 55mm threads for attaching other filters/converters.
Fred,

Have you tried this?

So, you mean sand down the *circumference* of the dummy-ring?
How do you know when to stop?!

Jane