Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:02 PM   #1

I have been researching the FZ family for a little while now and had been hoping to buy the FZ20 when it came out. Unfortunately, due to circumstances I had to use the money for something else. After reading Nick Tropp's post regarding how much he liked the FZ1, I thought I would try it first and then move up to the FZ20 when it becamepossible.

On Wednesday, I bought a FZ1 on eBay for $169U.S. and had it shipped the same day, hoping it would arrive on Thursday as I needed to buy accessories like memory etc. before I go to England for Christmas next week. I was not home when UPS arrived, and had forgotten to add my apartment buzzer number. After checking the tracking site and seeing they had come and goneI called UPS and gave them the buzzer number and was told the package would be here today(Friday) at about the same time.

When I checked their website this morning, instead of holding it at their Toronto office and trying to deliver it to me againthey had sent the package back to Montreal. I called to see if this had really happened, not believing that it could have. Unfortunately, it was true, and there was no way to intercept it before it reached Montreal, and even then I would have to track it all day myselfand call them to red flag the item when I saw it had reached Montrealas apparently UPS is too busy to do so.

Frustrated, I called the sender to see if he could ship another camera today knowing the first one was on its way back to him. When he heard it was me, he asked if I had received his e-mail. I hadn't and he explained thathe had accidently shipped me a demo model and sold the new camera yesterday to someone else. I could keep the camera with a small discountor he would send a full refund. The camera was issued 2 years ago and had been used as a demo for the past year, so I decided not to accept it, not knowing how many inexperienced hands had used it in the past year.

So, here I am with no camera to take home next week and still waiting for the time when I will be able to buy my FZ20!

As an aside, before the FZ20 hit the market, I had been looking at the Olympus C-770. It was going for about $740US in local stores in August, but I have recently seen them going for as low as $375US. It has 10x optical zoom as opposed to 12x, and no OIS. Would anyone recommend the C-770 at all? Right now the best price I can find for a FZ20 here in Canadais about $700US, almost double the C-770's price.
wighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 4:42 PM   #2

Wow... talk about something being not in the cards.

You know, I bought 3 cameras off eBay, including the FZ-1. FZ-1 was fine, NIB, no issues. Next, a Canon Canonette QL-17 for my father for christmas (his beloved old one died thought it would be a nice surprise... tried to talk him into a digital but at 75 he ain't motivated to learn new technologies.) not exactly in the condition stated, but it's a 35 year old camera, so I am getting a crash course in the fine art of camera repair. Next, an old Agfa MF 6X6 folder... again not in the condition stated. I pushed back a bit with the seller and he refunded me 1/2 the price I paid at auction. For cameras I would say I'm 1 for 3 on eBay. I think it was wise of you to return the FZ-1. I wouldn't want a camera used for a year as a demo model.

As for the Oly... tough call. Big price difference and Oly makes a nice camera too. Good luck! Let us know what you decide... even if you buy the Oly! :G

By the way, I'm flattered that you respected my post(s) enough to weigh it in your decision to purchase the FZ-1. But really, for the price these can be had with some shopping around, you really can't go wrong.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:09 PM   #3

I just bought my FZ20 from someone on EBay, and it was perfect, nothing was even unwrapped. I have seen new 20's on Ebay from various camera stores for a lot less than $700. Do a search on panasonic lumix dmc-fz20 you'll see!
GnomonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:54 PM   #4

Outch, Sad story man :sad:I fear that's the very opposite of how I recieved my FZ20... Smooth, fast express livery, right on time for a few days practice, and than the wedding of my sister. Bought it new; have not much faith in 2nd hand internet buys.

Can't really provide any reccomendations on other cams; That would be cheating to my dear fz20, which stole my heart by the firsttime I heard of it...

Goodluck! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:28 AM   #5

greenbaron wrote:
Quote:
Outch, Sad story man :sad:I fear that's the very opposite of how I recieved my FZ20... Smooth, fast express livery, right on time for a few days practice, and than the wedding of my sister. Bought it new; have not much faith in 2nd hand internet buys.

Can't really provide any reccomendations on other cams; That would be cheating to my dear fz20, which stole my heart by the firsttime I heard of it...

Goodluck! GB
Unfortunately,here in Canada we pay about 20% more than U.S. prices for the same product unless we buy from sellers in the U.S. which then means duties, taxes, brokerage fees etc. which bring the cost back up again. A never ending cycle of red tape

Right now they are charging almost the same as a Canon digital Rebel with 18-55 lens for the FZ20. It is new and hot so they will take what they can get. I will have to wait.

I hate waiting.

Old Dec 18, 2004, 4:47 AM   #6

wighter1 wrote:
Quote:
greenbaron wrote:
Quote:

Goodluck! GB
Unfortunately,here in Canada we pay about 20% more than U.S. prices for the same product unless we buy from sellers in the U.S. which then means duties, taxes, brokerage fees etc. which bring the cost back up again. A never ending cycle of red tape

Right now they are charging almost the same as a Canon digital Rebel with 18-55 lens for the FZ20. It is new and hot so they will take what they can get. I will have to wait.

I hate waiting.

I thought you could buy from US vendors (assuming they'll ship) in US $$ (and the warranty gets tricky) without any additional fees.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:43 AM   #7

I am a fan of both Oly and Pany. But if C770 is half priced than FZ20, I think you better gofor Oly. It has no OIS but has amazing unlimited VGA MPEG video, excellent picture, better manual control, and perfect on the tripod since it has Remote control (zero shake). Thus C770 is suitable for all member of your family. And the rest of your budget could be used for buying flash, converter, etc. According benefit to cost ratio I suggest you go for Oly. Whatever your choice, happy shooting, Merry christmas, Happy New Year.
zoegy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:42 AM   #8

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:

I thought you could buy from US vendors (assuming they'll ship) in US $$ (and the warranty gets tricky) without any additional fees.

I could be wrong but as far as I know, most itemsthatare produced in the U.S. are duty free according to the free trade agreement. Panasonic, however is produced elsewhere and I have read on other message boards about people paying shipping, duties, taxes and brokerage fees(UPS) on cameras that just about nullifies the advantage of buying across the border. Also as tacticalnuke writes, the warranty could be a problem if anything were to happen to the camera.

I think it may just be necessary to wait for the FZ30 to come out so the FZ20 drops in price. Does Santaknow I've been a good boy this year??
Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:53 PM   #9

FZ30!?!?!? ..., tell us more on what you`ve heard, and where you`ve heard it, in regards to thFZ30. Thank you very much!

Hmmm..., no typo`s. Okay.., submit.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 9:34 PM   #10

well that's one problem with online outrchase's.....lol i bought a flash fron panasonic for my fz...dmw-fl28pp..which all total around 300 bucks for next day shipping..loolll...hahaaaa...ok well i track the ship ment...lol...next day ..right.....ok well i didn't recieve it so i call the shipper... hahahh..they said it was delivered...ok well i said i didn't get it..so the lady said go look on your front porch ..i said lady is this the policy of this company to leave stuff of the door step with out a signiture...she said take it up with panasonic...well to make a long story short the delivery guy hid my 300 dinores flash behind my flower pott on my door step...last ime i will have any thing to do with next day air
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote