Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:45 PM   #1

Hi @all!

Today I have ordered the Panasonic Lumix FZ20. As I will surely need more than 16MB memory, I have looked for SD cards in different online shops. I found relatively cheap 512MB cards of Panasonic: Pro Highspeed 20 MByte/s (RP-SDK512E1-A). Can anyone of you tell me if this stuff works with the FZ20 without problems and if the camera takes any advantage of this fast memory? I couldn't find related info on the Panasonic Homepage.

Thank you very much!
mcfritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:40 PM   #2

It will work as well but not any better than these.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...140&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...207&depa=1
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 7:43 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum, mcfritt! You may want to search and read the posts on the Kingmax SD cards (and their new MMC cards they seem to be starting production and focusing on). As I previously posted, I have Panasonic, Kingston, Sandisk, and Kingmax cards, and the Kingmax is by far the fastest. And unless you have found a killer deal on the Panasonic, I have found them generally twice as expensive as anything else going. Good luck!
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:09 AM   #4

Great to know! I just ordered the FZ15 and a Kingmax 256 card. I went with Kingmax based on their PC memory reputation and the user comments at NewEgg.

Since I got 46 pictures with my Oly E-10 and a 128 MB card.......I'm guessing I'll get ~90+ pictures on this card in the highest quality setting? Sound about right?

Larry (bursting with anticipation! 12/21 is my 'due date' LOL) :|
jl3comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:24 AM   #5

Transcend is a superb brand.

Remember, just like putting crappy tires on a Corvette Z06 will destroy its performance, putting a crappy memory card in your camera will destroy its performance. You bought a nice camera, now go with Transcend or another good brand and get a nice memory card.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:37 AM   #6

The only real advantage to using fast cards is using the burst mode. Also, it depends on the kind of photography that you are into. Highspeed cards and high megapixels are just a way to satisfy the consumer in thinking bigger and faster is better. Not always necessarily true. I see that the celeron chip is still being used in new computers today. Hmm.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 2:44 PM   #7

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The only real advantage to using fast cards is using the burst mode. Also, it depends on the kind of photography that you are into. Highspeed cards and high megapixels are just a way to satisfy the consumer in thinking bigger and faster is better. Not always necessarily true. I see that the celeron chip is still being used in new computers today. Hmm.
Celeron chips suck unless all you're doing is office. But then there might want to come a day when you want to play a video game, and the limited onboard cache screws you.

Same with the camera. You pay a little extra and you're ready just in case. Besides, who doesn't want to be able to take pictures less than a second apart?
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 3:03 PM   #8

Like I said before it depends on what you want to do. I don't play video games on a computer. I have a laptop with a celeronchip that is six years old that I travel with. I download all my pictures to it. Obviously, if your interest in photography covers a broader spectrum then the faster cards will be a benefit. There are those out there that do take their time to compose shots (portrait, macro) and do panaromic shooting. Where is the need for a faster card in doing that. I don't believe in buying more than whatyou really need. Again, it all depends on knowing what you want.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:07 PM   #9

Thanks for your feedback! I have ordered a 512MB card, but I can give it back within 14 days. That's the big advantage of online shopping! :-)
By the way, no answer so far from Panasonic. I sent them an email and asked the same question... CU
mcfritt is offline   Reply With Quote