Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:42 AM   #1

I got my FZ20 a couple of weeks ago. I have been using a Nikon N60 SLR (film) Camera, sorry.....I also have two Sony Digicams. I fell in love with the FZ20 when I read some reviews on it, and this forum has been great!

So I just wanted to say thanks for all the info and great tips on using the FZ20.

p.s. My father has been into photography for as long as I can remember ( I am 40 ) he does not think that digital can compare to film. So my family chipped in and bought him a FZ20 for x-mas. This will show him...

Thanks again,

Mark

marksr116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:52 AM   #2

Mark,

Welcome aboard. I hope you and your father are both very pleased with your 20's. I just got my FZ3 and really am having fun again with photograph.

By the way, your father is right. Digital CAN'T compare to film. After all they are two very different things. Film has to be scanned before you can use it in your computer, email, photo cards, etc. Film has pretty much reached the hight of it's development, at least in the 35mm arena. Where-as digital is just now getting into it's stride. Digital will just get better and better, cheaper and cheaper.

Even with all that however, I still just can't get over good old fashioned B/W. It's just the best. Enjoy.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:06 AM   #3

Thanks Brett, I tend to agree, Its just so easy to take some pics and download,edit & print. walla...I have spent many hours in my fathers dark room developing B&W photo's just to find out my shot didn't turn out like I had planned. Well I still have a lot to learn. And remember I am from the here and now generation......

Thanks,

Mark
Old Dec 19, 2004, 4:48 AM   #4

Well welcome Mark :-). I'm a Sony user as well as the FZ10. Tell the family I took macro for 30 years on 35mm, nothing comes close to digital IMO. :-)I always used K25, an excllent slow slide film, but the FZ10 out shoots it for ratio and in some cases, quality. Anyway, all the best Mark, great to have you here. :|

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:44 AM   #5

Hi Marksr116,

Welcome to the forum

Great to hear you own a nice digcam, the FZ20!

Someone, a third photographer in your family will have fun, I am sure, on Christmas morning taking a photo of the FZ20 father -son duo! :-)

I do concur with yourfather that digital cannot equal the best film. However, the gap in qualitygrows ever smaller with each new digital camera advancement.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:46 AM   #6

Welcome! Another Philly dude! There's at least 4 or 5 that post here regularly. Don't be disappointed if your father doesn't like his X-mas present, though it's a great one.

When my dad retired in 88, my sister and I bought him a Minolta top of the line "autofocus", "comupterized" SLR. We thought he would love it. We thought he needed a new camera since he was using the same one since we were little kids - a Canon QL-III 35mm rangefinder he bought in '66.

Know what? The Minolta - literally, sat in its box from '88 'till last year when his (beloved) Canon finally gave up the ghost. My sister never "got it"... and would ask why he never uses the Minolta we got him. He always make some excuse. The real reason? He LOVED the Canon. He's tried using the Minolta now, but it's just too complicated and he's not used to it. I think he just likes rangefinders over SLRs, many people do.

Know what I'm getting him for X-mas this year? A reconditioned Canon QL III for $150 (including several hard to find, expensive batteries for it). It's retained its value as a "classic camera", and they're in demand. What is the going rate for the top-of-the-line in 1988 Minolta? Significantly less than the refurbed/reconditioned Canon.
Dad's no fool. : )

The moral of this long story is, in my experience I wouldn't by a camera aa a good gift (unless they specified the exact make and model of the camera they wanted). Especially if they're into photography. It's just one of those things people have very strong preferences toward. It's almost like saying, "Dad, here, you'll LOVE this Radiohead CD ('cause I do)... when dad listens to Frank Sinatra.

Though if any camera proves me wrong, it would be the FZ-20.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:35 AM   #7

Thanks Danny, will see what happens.......
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:52 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply,. Oh yes there will be a lot of pictures taken this year. I have two boys 17 & 12 yr s old and twin girls 8 yrs. Well, they are all into the mp3 players.. except for one of the twins. She loves taking pictures, and thats what she wants for x-mas this year. (no she will not get a FZ) .. When ever we are at an event, She always wants to take pictures, so I hook her up with one of my old sony's, 3meg 3x op zoom. Well she captures pics in a whole different perspective, being so close to the ground and looking up... While I'm takeing shots that folks know you are taking thier pic. When she takes them no one is expecting it, so she captures the real moment...

Mark
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:03 PM   #9

Nick, you hit the nail on the head. We all talked abouthim not wanting to use all those buttons and switching thru menus...How ever I gave him a sony a few years ago 2.1 meg 3x op zoom. He just uses it as a point and shoot, taking pics of the rug rats when they are visiting.....But just like your father, that minolta slr is always around his neck.

Last year we bought him a minolta film scanner to convert all his old slides and negs to digital. (he wanted it we didn't force him) So he has the computer part of it down pretty good, hopefully thats half tha battle....

Nick that canon sound like a great gift.....

Thanks,

Mark