Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:50 PM   #1

Based on a reliable source, rumor has it that there's a very good chance there will be a FZ20 in my Christmas stocking next Saturday. So, while I try to be on my best behavior until then and remain optimistic that the mrs will give Santa a final "thumb's up," I have been searching for an adequate/reliable/permanent power source. Unfortunately, I haven't found a lot to comfort or satisfy me. Cut to a few words, "It's not been easy." I admit that much of the difficulty has been due to my own electronic ignorance, but still, I don't think I'm the dumbest photo fan in the world.

My goal is to have an ac power adapter for the longer sessions in a fixed place, and at least one extra battery for travel.

Question: What do you FZ20 users have for an adappter? Or maybe you don't use one.

Here's my experience so far:

I've read many of the threads on this and other forums. There's a lot about batteries, but not much on adapters.

I called Panasonic sales. The lady said the Pan DMW-CAC1 charger/adapter combo would not be available through them before February. She said she has been with Pan for eight years and it's common for Pan to be late with support equipment.

Went to Radio Shack. They didn't have one and didn't know when they would. They had an adapter with multiple jack sizes and selectable voltage output, including 7.5v, but he felt it wasn't safe to use that.

Called two Ritz Cameras. Neither had one and didn't know if/when they would. Both strongly advised against using a 7.5v input. Might fry the FZ20.

When to Fry's Electronics (Mostly West Coast. How ironic the name!!!) They had several of the selectable voltage adapters, but none with 7.2v output. They also ranged from 300mAh to 1500 mAh. (At this point in any electronics conversation I get real stupid real fast.) The salesman thought the 0.3v difference was no big thing and it should work. I ignored his opinion.

Although I've never used E-bay, I checked it. Found several adapters, but nothing that looked OK.

Question: Can anybody help me sort this out?

While at Fry's today I found and purchased a Lenmar DLP002 battery that stated on the package it replaced Pan CGA S002 (didn't say it replaced CGA S002A). Salesman (not the same as above) stated he was sure it fit the FZ20. When I got home I checked the Lenmar site and they affirmed it to be for the FZ20. I have a twinge of anxiety because I have read that some pople have had a bit of difficulty (fitting) with some non-Pan batteries. "Close, but no cigar." I haven't tried my new one because, as described above, I haven't actually taken possession of the FZ20 yet.

Question: Has anybody heard of/tried/used the Lenmar DLP002?

This Pan FZ20 support issue with adapters and batteries seems to be problematic. Am I missing something here? Hope it's not symptomatic. I'm really anxious to get my hands on my new toy, but I have this feeling of trepidation each time I pass my stocking. Maybe I just need someone to pat me on my bald spot and whisper, "Don't worry, Janter. You just don't see the big picture, It'll all work out. Just stop walking past the stocking."

Really, Ifeel like I'min a pickle here. Any info/advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. Of course if your only comments are to confirm that I really am the dumbest photo fan in the world, please, that's already been doone. LOL!! Nah, I'm only kidding. If that would make you feel better, go right ahead, I think I can handle it. (From a different time and life, I remember someone saying, "Better bad mail than no mail at all.") Actually, from reading a lot of your threads, I can tell you're all waaaaay too polite.

Digital experience: Have had a Nikon 990 mostly as a point-and-shooter for about 4 years.

And for all those photo pholks who have read to this point, I want to thank you and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Also, for all you who visit Las Vegas, keep your "Fuzzy Twenty" out in the open. I'll be looking for you. Thanks. Janter

Janter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:46 PM   #2

I would call Panasonic and ask for a specification on allowable input voltage range for the DC in jack. (In my book, they've screwed up by not providing this in their manual.) Then find a good *regulated* DC supply with specs on its output that meet that range.

My guess (DISCLAIMER: you *need* to ask the above questions; I haven't done it.) is that a good 7.5V DC adapter would be fine, maybe even an 8V. The FZ20 manual *does* say (on p. 115) "Power source: DC 8.4V" which I would interpret as meaning that the DMW-CAC1 outputs up to 8.4V since it's a combined charger/adapter.
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:07 PM   #3

Hi Janter,

You may want to see if you can find a DPS-9000 external Lithium battery locally in Vegas.

Read more about it here...

http://www.digipowersolutions.com/sh...=&subgroup=

Hope that stocking is stuffed like you think it will be!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:45 PM   #4

Janter wrote:
Quote:
Based on a reliable source, rumor has it that there's a very good chance there will be a FZ20 in my Christmas stocking next Saturday. So, while I try to be on my best behavior until then and remain optimistic that the mrs will give Santa a final "thumb's up," I have been searching for an adequate/reliable/permanent power source. Unfortunately, I haven't found a lot to comfort or satisfy me. Cut to a few words, "It's not been easy." I admit that much of the difficulty has been due to my own electronic ignorance, but still, I don't think I'm the dumbest photo fan in the world.

My goal is to have an ac power adapter for the longer sessions in a fixed place, and at least one extra battery for travel.

Question: What do you FZ20 users have for an adappter? Or maybe you don't use one.
Quote:
The FZ10 came with that adapter and I never used it so I do not feel you need one.I think they discontinued including one as most people did not use it.
Quote:
Quote:
Here's my experience so far:
Quote:
I've read many of the threads on this and other forums. There's a lot about batteries, but not much on adapters.

I called Panasonic sales. The lady said the Pan DMW-CAC1 charger/adapter combo would not be available through them before February. She said she has been with Pan for eight years and it's common for Pan to be late with support equipment.

Went to Radio Shack. They didn't have one and didn't know when they would. They had an adapter with multiple jack sizes and selectable voltage output, including 7.5v, but he felt it wasn't safe to use that.

Called two Ritz Cameras. Neither had one and didn't know if/when they would. Both strongly advised against using a 7.5v input. Might fry the FZ20.

When to Fry's Electronics (Mostly West Coast. How ironic the name!!!) They had several of the selectable voltage adapters, but none with 7.2v output. They also ranged from 300mAh to 1500 mAh. (At this point in any electronics conversation I get real stupid real fast.) The salesman thought the 0.3v difference was no big thing and it should work. I ignored his opinion.

Although I've never used E-bay, I checked it. Found several adapters, but nothing that looked OK.

Question: Can anybody help me sort this out?
Quote:
Many people are using an adapter from walmart or Radio shack with no problems .
Quote:
Follow this thread for a couple suggestions
Quote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11443071

While at Fry's today I found and purchased a Lenmar DLP002 battery that stated on the package it replaced Pan CGA S002 (didn't say it replaced CGA S002A). Salesman (not the same as above) stated he was sure it fit the FZ20. When I got home I checked the Lenmar site and they affirmed it to be for the FZ20. I have a twinge of anxiety because I have read that some pople have had a bit of difficulty (fitting) with some non-Pan batteries. "Close, but no cigar." I haven't tried my new one because, as described above, I haven't actually taken possession of the FZ20 yet.

Question: Has anybody heard of/tried/used the Lenmar DLP002?
Quote:
I have not usedthat batterybut others have
Quote:

This Pan FZ20 support issue with adapters and batteries seems to be problematic. Am I missing something here? Hope it's not symptomatic. I'm really anxious to get my hands on my new toy, but I have this feeling of trepidation each time I pass my stocking. Maybe I just need someone to pat me on my bald spot and whisper, "Don't worry, Janter. You just don't see the big picture, It'll all work out. Just stop walking past the stocking."

Really, Ifeel like I'min a pickle here. Any info/advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. Of course if your only comments are to confirm that I really am the dumbest photo fan in the world, please, that's already been doone. LOL!! Nah, I'm only kidding. If that would make you feel better, go right ahead, I think I can handle it. (From a different time and life, I remember someone saying, "Better bad mail than no mail at all.") Actually, from reading a lot of your threads, I can tell you're all waaaaay too polite.
Quote:
The Battery for the Panasonic works great and is not a problem at all.
Quote:
I would get a USB2 card reader about $15 and forget all about the AC adapter. I use this card reader but it is not necessary to spend that much.
Quote:
Digital experience: Have had a Nikon 990 mostly as a point-and-shooter for about 4 years.

And for all those photo pholks who have read to this point, I want to thank you and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Also, for all you who visit Las Vegas, keep your "Fuzzy Twenty" out in the open. I'll be looking for you. Thanks. Janter
Quote:
You will love your FZ20 its quite a step up from where you were.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:06 AM   #5

For arghman, digcamfan, and genece

Called Pan tech support. The lady there was very nice and not in a hurry to get rid of me but, unfortunately, stated that she 'was not allowed' to tell me the acceptable range of input voltage. (Could be wrong, but to me that reeks of money-grubbing s**t-heads.) She could say only that it was 7.2v per written specs, Anything else was at my risk. She confirmed that the Pan adapter was backlogged until Feb. I didn't think to ask if there is a voltage regulator at the input pin.

I then did a lot of research through various forums (including all your suggested threads) and other company/sales sites and came to the conclusion that an input voltage of anything between 7v and 8v was probably safe. Found somebody who made the statement that, as a general rule, +/- 10 percent should be OK. So that made many of the variable/selectable adapters available. Did more research on the DPS 9000 and found a local Ritz that stocked it.

Was leaning toward the adapter so I went to Fry's which had a fair selection. While examining them it became obvious that they all had some sort of voltage selector switch (dah!!!). That brought to mind Murphy's Law that states, "If something can go wrong, it will." (There are several versions of that theme.) That brought to mind an incident many years ago in which I had an oppoortunity too apply one of two voltages (120/240) to a piece of equipment and, you guessed it, I selected the wrong one. Fried that sucker. After a fair assessment, and being aware of my vulnerabilities, I passed on the adapter.

Went to Ritz. Liked what I saw and now own a DPS 9000. Can't use it yet, but you can be sure it will be fully charged by Christmas Eve. Attaching the battery pack to the camera has its pluses and minuses and I'm not sure how I feel about that. The cables in the packet are short so the camera and the battery must remain close. However, Ritz did have a suitable cable 3 to 4 feet long that would allow the battery to be carried in the belt or in a pocket. Then there's the problem of the little door remaining open when the battery is attached. OK, we'll tackle that next.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. Janter
Janter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:40 AM   #6

Check this thread out here at Steve's for another idea on how to mount the DPS 9000.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=23&page=4
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote