Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:27 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
JEDinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 235
Default

Hi all,

Don't know if its been posted here yet but there's a new review at Imaging Resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ20/FZ20A.HTM


JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NickTrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,249
Default

What I like best about this review is the use of the Imatest software, which uses unbiased technical data to assess color accuracy, noise levels, and other image quality properties. Absolutely, positively recommended reading for owners of the FZ-20 imo. This is the link to the technical charts and graphs. Wish this analysis was out there for all cameras...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...Z20IMATEST.HTM

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:25 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 50
Default

Looking at the noise vs. iso graph, it's interesting that the line for the FZ15 has that sharp spike upwards between ISO 200 and 400. From ISO 64 up to 200 the noise level for the FZ15 stayed close to the Kodak DX7590.

Sheesh that G5's a noisy, line for it looks like the price curve for a gallon of gasoline during the last year. :G
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:44 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
NickTrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,249
Default

Tenshi wrote:
Quote:
Sheesh that G5's a noisy, line for it looks like the price curve for a gallon of gasoline during the last year. :G
Noticed that too about the G5... this is good info. Though I would like to see nfo like this to all cameras, it's easy to overreact to it. One thing you can't find on the web is how the damned picture looks, and how do prints look side by side when compared no matter how many charts and graphs.

The tech data illustrates (paraphrasing) the FZ-20 renders colors with a slight bias toward yellow that won't be noticable in prints. That turns into "don't buy the FZ-20 because everything it prints is yellow..." in the mind of potential buyers.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
JEDinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 235
Default

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
That turns into "don't buy the FZ-20 because everything it prints is yellow..." in the mind of potential buyers.

OMG Nick....Be careful - don't open up another can...the noise issue was just laid to rest! :shock:
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:46 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 50
Default

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Tenshi wrote:
Quote:
Sheesh that G5's a noisy, line for it looks like the price curve for a gallon of gasoline during the last year. :G
Noticed that too about the G5... this is good info. Though I would like to see nfo like this to all cameras, it's easy to overreact to it. One thing you can't find on the web is how the damned picture looks, and how do prints look side by side when compared no matter how many charts and graphs.

The tech data illustrates (paraphrasing) the FZ-20 renders colors with a slight bias toward yellow that won't be noticable in prints. That turns into "don't buy the FZ-20 because everything it prints is yellow..." in the mind of potential buyers.
When a reviewer mentions and displays images from a certain camera exhibiting some level of noise at or above a given ISO level...I'm usually left wondering how much of a real world problem that would be for the individual that might mainly be interested in sending the images directly out for print processing and will be getting back some inexpensive 4x6 prints.
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:43 AM.