Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:18 PM   #1

Hi,

After reading a lot of the threads here regarding after market adapter tubes, I ordered a Phayee adapter for my FZ15, and should be getting it any day now.

I've also read some threads regarding lens hoods to work with the adapter. Although I went ahead and ordered a generic daisy shade from Rong, along with the Phayee, I've decided to get a collapsible rubber hood for it. It seems most of the veteran photographers here swear by them.

My question(s): I've read some good things about the Hama hood, and I've also heard a reference to one made by Hoya. I know that the Hama is more expensive than the Hoya hood--are they about the same in quality and performance, or is the Hama really that much better? Is it worth the difference in price?

Also, I've seen the reference to the hood available at Adorama. Is this a genuine Hama, or a close Hama knockoff? And is it as good?

Thanks for your help...I searched the forums for any threads that really answer my questions, so that I wouldn't bore you with redundant questions...but I really couldn't find any....so here I am.

Take care,
Geoff
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:37 PM   #2

The resident "lens hood" (among other things) expert here is rezajune. If no one replies in a timely fashion, I might shoot him a PM. Great guy, sure he won't mind.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:03 AM   #3

HI,
I bought a cheap one off eBay, cost me $10. Works great.
I think it was similar if not the same as the one in the link below.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....860691042&rd=1

By the way, I have no connection to these guys. Here is a photo of the FZ10, Phayee adaptor and the above hood.
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:35 AM   #4

I just bought the Hoya hood from Jessops in the UK, for £13. Has great thread to attach to Phaynee adapter, and 2 'stages', wide and telephoto (ie the hood expands out). Seems like a good quality product so far.
Night Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:14 AM   #5

Can the Phayee adapter be purchased from Jessops as every time I try to use Paypal or even bid on anything on ebay I get inundated with junk mail from Eastern Europe which fills my server.

If not the Phayee is there any other adapter I could buy from a UK shop.

John
Johnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:48 AM   #6

I would suggest contacting Rong Jin directly and tell him what you want. You can complete the transaction through Paypal without using Ebay at all. His email is [email protected]
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:48 AM   #7

I would suggest contacting Rong Jin directly and tell him what you want. You can complete the transaction through Paypal without using Ebay at all. His email is [email protected]
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 5:56 PM   #8

I was looking at the Adorama webpage for their rubber collapsible "telematic" hood. Their description is almost exactly(word for word) the same description that I found for the genuine Hama hood. So I called them and asked if Hama made their hood, and the sales person I got told me, "I have no idea who makes it. We just get it in from somewhere for Adorama." I then asked him if I could speak with anyone there who might know the answer--"No, nobody here knows who makes them. We just get them in from somewhere. Nobody knows..."

Does anyone here know if this Adorama hood is, in fact, made by Hama? From their description, it's either a Hama, or a great knockoff...and, at that price, it's definitely good enough for me!:G

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ62.html

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:20 AM   #9

If you go to B&H, they show the manufacture's part #. Hmmm, it just adds HA to the one you are showing. Could that stand for Hama. :GHope this help's. Cal

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...hama+lens+hood

Quick Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:18 PM   #10

Quick Cal wrote:
Quote:
If you go to B&H, they show the manufacture's part #. Hmmm, it just adds HA to the one you are showing. Could that stand for Hama.* :G*Hope this help's.* Cal
Hi Quick Cal,

Even though that salesperson at Adorama was about as friendly and helpful as a DMV clerk, I decided to email Adorama anyway, and ask again. This is the response they sent me:

Dear Valued Customer
Please be advised that it is similar to hama
In house brand
Sincerely
Adorama Sales Dept.

While this "advisory" would lead me to believe that Hama DOES NOT make their hood, I'm also aware that many major "label" companies do, in fact, manufacture "in-house brand" products for merchants/stores that are very similar or virtually identical to their own. And you're right, QC--outside of the "HA", Hama's and Adorama's hoods have the same mfr's#.... :idea:

I guess the real question for me here is whether it's that important to me if Hama makes this Adorama hood(for $10 less) or not.

My simple answer is: if the forums members here who've bought this Adorama hood think it's a great product, then that's good enough for me!

Thanks, Quick Cal!