Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 20, 2004, 5:44 PM   #1

Hi,

I have bought a "HamaZoom Flash 24 Slave"for my FZ20 but no matter what I do the images appear darker than when I use the build-in flash. I have tried every ISO setting and different shutterspeed in "manuel ext. flash mode" but I always get the best result with the build-in flash. Since I'm quite a newbee I would like to hear which settings to use inmy livingroom which is 35 m2, rather dark, with wodden cealing and floor and white painted walls and not much light. I will take a sample then and post it here and hopefully get some good advice before christmas eve!!

Thanks in advance :-)
Gerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 5:53 PM   #2

Gerner wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I have bought a "Hama¬*Zoom Flash 24 Slave"¬*for my FZ20 but no matter what I do the images appear darker than when I use the build-in flash. I have tried every ISO setting and different shutterspeed in "manuel ext. flash mode" but I always get the best result with the build-in flash.
I am not familiar with this particular flash but I would bet the house that it doesn't have a "white balance preflash" delay. All the FZ's and many other digicams fire a miniflash 2/2000th's of a second (don't quote me on the time) to set white balance before the main flash fires. That flash triggers the slave - not the main flash. So your slave flash goes off prematurely, the light from the slave flash lowers the aperture, which is why your pictures appear darker, ironically.

You need a flash that compensates for the white balance preflash. This flash will never work with the Lumix.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:20 AM   #3

I can't find that flash online, but I'm assuming it's not one that goes into the hot shoe. Can I ask why you didn't get one that goes into the hotshoe?

Now, if it is in the hot shoe then we probably have a problem. Could you link to the flash?
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:56 AM   #4

I believe Nick is correct.

Here is a page that addresses that and a link to a trigger that may fix the problem depending on how your slave works.

http://www.therollbar.com/tutorial.htm
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:22 PM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
I believe Nick is correct.

Here is a page that addresses that and a link to a trigger that may fix the problem depending on how your slave works.

http://www.therollbar.com/tutorial.htm

I just don't understand why he wouldn't get a flash that goes on the hotshoe. That or get a flash bracket. Unless he's doing work where the flash sits somewhere else, but at this level of flash photography I doubt it.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:56 PM   #6

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
I just don't understand why he wouldn't get a flash that goes on the hotshoe.
There's a review of the Vivitar DF 200 on Amazon (first one, I think) that raves about this "slave" falsh with the FZ-20. I don't get it either. If you have a hotshoe, why in the world would you want a digital slave flash? In my case, I don't have a choice (FZ-1v2) but to use one. To me, that's the single biggest advantage of the 10, 15, and 20's.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:15 PM   #7

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
I just don't understand why he wouldn't get a flash that goes on the hotshoe.
There's a review of the Vivitar DF 200 on Amazon (first one, I think) that raves about this "slave" falsh with the FZ-20. I don't get it either. If you have a hotshoe, why in the world would you want a digital slave flash? In my case, I don't have a choice (FZ-1v2) but to use one. To me, that's the single biggest advantage of the 10, 15, and 20's.

It is in fact one of the main reasons I chose the FZ10 over the S1 IS (I bought mine before the 20s and 15s came out). Today, I am very glad I did as I am getting a Sunpak 383 for Christmas. I'm glad I looked ahead.

I would return the flash if I were him and get a Sunpak 383, which seems to be the most recommended model (hence why I'm getting it). It also goes all the way down to 1/64 power, which is amazing and very useful.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:46 PM   #8

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:

Nick,

Does the FZ15 have a hot shoe as well? I thought it was just the 10 and 20 that have it.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:04 PM   #9

You are correct, it is only the FZ10 and FZ20 that have the hotshoe.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:26 PM   #10

Quote:
If you have a hotshoe, why in the world would you want a digital slave flash
Because for macro, it ain't no good sitting on top of the camera........at a rough guess M8t :-) I love the DF200 Nick and yes, I read the reviews at Amazon first and then here LOL.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote