Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:20 AM   #1

Took this today....

Appreciate any critique of the pics....DOF is max out for my camera at F8, and could not get a better angle to max it. Thanks for any comments/critique!

And Happy New Year!

#3 (BTW, is that an eye?)

I think they are called Jumping Spiders. Please correct me if I am wrong. Here are some info: http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Saltici...group=Dionycha

An Introduction to the Jumping Spiders
Jumping spiders (Salticidae) are easily distinguished from other spiders by their four big eyes on the face and four smaller eyes on top of the head. Around the world there are probably more than 5000 species of jumping spiders.

Jumping spiders are charming spiders that look up and watch you. Their excellent vision allows them to hunt much as do cats, spotting prey from long distances, creeping up then pouncing using their jumping ability. Although a jumping spider can jump more than fifty times its body length, none of its legs has enlarged muscles. The power for jumping probably comes from a quick contraction of muscles in the front part of the body increasing the blood pressure, which causes the legs to extend rapidly much as in the toy frogs that hop when you squeeze a bulb.

Their vision also allows communications by visual means, such as the elaborate courtship dances that males perform.

Salticids are perhaps as old and diverse as mammals, though not many humans know their world. Many salticids are colorful, they take on a variety of body forms, and some have disguises, looking like ants and other organisms. The bright colors and elaborate forms of some jumping spider species are involved in courtship.

If you'd like to learn more about jumping spiders, you can follow the phylogenetic tree above to explore the diversity of species. You might also want to wander through a gallery of jumping spider images and movies, explore their anatomy, or focus on the jumping spiders of America north of Mexico.

Jumping spiders have excellent vision, with among the highest acuities in invertebrates. The eight eyes are grouped four on the face (the two big Anterior Median eyes in the middle, and two smaller Anterior Lateral eyes to the side), and four on top of the carapace (two medium-sized eyes toward the back, and two very small eyes in front of them). You can think of the Anterior Median eyes (AME) as acting like our fovea, with high acuity but small field of view, and the remaining six eyes acting like our peripheral vision, with lower resolution but broad field of view.
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:45 AM   #2

Wow... Amazing little fellow is watching you; Very nice shots tchuanye! Seems you like jumping spiders a lot; Is it hobby, or part of your profession?

How I'de love to get some scorpions in the frame... Like these impressive creatures a real lot... Unfortunately they don't live here :sad:

Cheers GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:38 AM   #3

Very nice shots tchuanye!!!!! no kidding...and like you said be for (keeping them eye in focus) well done...suoper nice color on the spider lime green that groovy!!!!!!!!

DOF is working finefor these it really sets of the eyes :G

here in Florida we have very colorful jumping spiders too!!! i cant Waite till i run a cross one to snap a few!!!

thx for sharing

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:11 PM   #4

This species of spider makes good soup!

Salticid Soup (aka "Jumping Spider Soup")
1/2 lb Salticid ("Jumping") spiders
1/4 c unsalted butter
3 c leek
2 t fresh dill weed
4 c chicken broth
1 c cream
1/2 c parmesan cheese
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper

mince or cut the Salticids into thin slices
heat butter in a large saucepan, over a moderate flame
add the Salticids, heat and stir for 5-6 minutes
add the minced leeks, heat and stir for 5 minutes
add the dill, stir
add the chicken broth
bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20-30 minutes remove from
heat and puree with a hand blender or in a food processor
place over a low flame
stir in cream
gradually stir in the grated cheese
season to taste with salt and pepper
serve hot

servings: 6
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 6:39 PM   #5

I think Willow 's gonna go for it; he eats flies too :G
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:37 AM   #6

lol---and the soup goes down well with brown spider bread, spread with spider paste. Yummmm.:?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:09 AM   #7

greenbaron wrote:
Quote:
Wow... Amazing little fellow is watching you; Very nice shots tchuanye! Seems you like jumping spiders a lot; Is it hobby, or part of your profession?

How I'de love to get some scorpions in the frame... Like these impressive creatures a real lot... Unfortunately they don't live here :sad:

Cheers GB
Thanks Greenbaron, Willow for your comments..and Nick, for your excellent receipe! I am hungry already.....
I really tasted one before when I was real young, and ate it kind of by accident (was playing and all that)...tasted real acidic....horrible....

Saw a fellow Fz10 (ddsm: http://ddsm.smugmug.com/gallery/152214/1/5643842) took a spider before and was amazed by it, so I kind of want to follow in his steps....I am engineer by profession, and I am just amazed by the beauty of these creatures.....
Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:53 PM   #8

Yes a jumping spider and they are all eyes. Very cute spiders and also very small, so these are excllent shots. Never worry about DOF at these ratios, I can tell you that DSLR's have more problems at this ratio :-), so excellent shots and work. Love the colours and details. Probably why Johnny likes shooting with the small Canon as well.

All the best over your way, always a pleasure to see your work. :-)

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:48 AM   #9

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
Yes a jumping spider and they are all eyes. Very cute spiders and also very small, so these are excllent shots. Never worry about DOF at these ratios, I can tell you that DSLR's have more problems at this ratio :-), so excellent shots and work. Love the colours and details. Probably why Johnny likes shooting with the small Canon as well.

All the best over your way, always a pleasure to see your work. :-)

Danny.

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your compliment! Always honoured to hear from a Macro expert.:-)