Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:21 AM   #1

When I see a statement in the forums about the Panasonic FZ20 being a great camera but needing more post processing than some other cameras, what does that mean? I've done a search, but I can't find anything specific, I apologize if this has been addressed and I just can't find it...

I figure it must be something along the lines of tweaking pictures with Photoshop Elements type software, but what is it that usually needs fixing?

Thanks!

Jazzrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:07 PM   #2

I have owned 3 digital cameras & don't find that the Panasonic needs post adjustment any more than the Canon S1 or the Minolta S414. Occasionally I get a shot when the lighting conditions are perfect that post processing seems to distract from the shot. However, typically I like to clarify my photos, which seems to make colors slightly more vivid & increases the depth perception. Also use one step which supposedly produces the essentially perfect picture according to that programmer.

Whenone takes film to a processor, he decides which settings in his opinion will produce the best picture, though its probably all automated now. With Paint Shop Or Adobe you get to decide how to tweak the photo. You are the processor.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:09 PM   #3

I have not heard of the FZ20 needing post processing. In fact... All pictures that I have posted on this forum are straight out of the camera, and a few that I added special effects to.

I like messing around with the image editing stuff for special effects, but I am also trying to learn how to get good out of the camera shots.

If you are talking about the FZ20 noise thing... Then yes... It is noisier at the higher ISO settings, and noise removal software can be used to get it out, but as far as picture quality goes... It takes great out of the camerapics.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:53 PM   #4

Jazzrjen,

I don't own the FZ20 I have the FZ3. But from this forum and others I also have read, learned, debated the subject of post processing. I think this term is;

Overused, misunderstood, beat to death and generally less of an issue then some would have it be.

By the broadest definitions, post processing is everything and anything you do after you download the file from the camera. That could include cropping, color correcting, sharpening, level adjustment, noise reduction, just to name a few.

Like Bobc indicated, you don't need to do a lot of post processing, some people just choose to. It depends a lot on your expectations, skill and personal preferences.

Every shot from every digital camera out there can benefit from some type of post processing. The Lumix FZ's are no different. Base any choice in camera on features, feel and gut instinct. I don't think you will go wrong with that. If you think it is a good camera and you like it. Then go for it!

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:14 AM   #5
Fox

Hey Jazzrjen and welcome to the forums. I would have to agree with Brett. I don't think you will see any picture on a commercial publication that has not been post processed in some way or another, and these guys use some big $ cameras. The FZ cameras are great cameras and take beautiful pictures. That's not to say it will make you a pro overnight, but if you take the time to learn the camera and learn how to use it right, it can and will produce some very beautiful pictures.

I will say that the the FZ's do take very nice shots right out of the box as well.

I just did some post processing on a picture I posted taken with a FZ15. A member here made some suggestions and I gave it a try. You can see the thread here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...19&forum_id=23
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:21 AM   #6

Interresting topic;

I must admit I leave only few images "unharmed" (as some purists wil see it :blah. I usually apply some level editing (but never on the individual RGB channels). Just to kill any haze like effects, I can't get rid of with the cam settings. Maybe I should go for some filters :roll:

Where needed, I level the horizon, crop foranoptimal frame andreduce noise. Always sharpen the resized version (gently).

I was a little dissappointed with the FZ noise levels, but when I compared somephotos, with my minolta Z1 pic's, I immediately withdrew all sad feelings. Sure there is some noise, but it really isn't that much compared to other cams.

At first I felt a little guilty by all that processing; But I think it was caused by some purists talk who swear by analog stuff. Ofcourse, any photographer should try to get the best out of his cam. But why not take advantage of the possibilities of the year 2004? Where would the music be if still only acoustic, unplugged instruments were used?

Cheers, GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:57 AM   #7
Fox

greenbaron wrote:
Quote:
Of course, any photographer should try to get the best out of his cam. But why not take advantage of the possibilities of the year 2004? Where would the music be if still only acoustic, unplugged instruments were used?

Cheers, GB
So true greenbaron, If you start with a great picture you will have much less work to do in post. As for music, even with all the modern technology out, you still can tell who has talent and who don't
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:20 AM   #8

Thanks for your answers everyone, the information was extremely helpful! Especially happy to see bobc's comment of "It takes great out of the camerapics.", and grateful to have some clarification on particular aspects people tend to post-process.

It's taken me a long time to come around to wanting a digital camera and now that I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon, I'm making myself crazy reading up in the forums about my top picks while trying to decide!

Fanglord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:50 AM   #9

Fanglord2,

A co-worker of mine just went through the same process as you. He was overwhelmed with information, ideas, perceived "needs". He was very concerned about the need for a ton of resolution for post processing. He wanted to be sure he could crop and enlarge any picture he wanted. Well, it took some time but I did help him understand that it is far better to properly compose the picture with a 12x high quality zoom then to do a lot of work on the PC.

For the price point you just can't beat the FZ's. He finally purchased the FZ3 just before the holidays. He is very happy he did.

Don't try to find the "perfect" camera. Just pick the one you like the best and go for it. Especially if you can get it for a good price.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote