Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:58 PM   #1

I'm just wondering what 'PP' ,as is FZ20PP, stands for. I know...dumb question.
rbgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:54 PM   #2

I don't know what the PP stands for but if it has a -K after it, that means the color is black.

You can probably call or email panasonic for that information.

Or... Maybe someone will post the answer in time.

If you do find out, please post the answer so we all will know.

Thanks

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:24 AM   #3

Good, I'm not the only one who doesn't know! I knew about the letters indicating the colors, but hadn't seen the 'PP' part before I got my camera.

Another question came to mind. I was thinking silver might be a better color choice since it doesn't absorb heat like black does, so any thoughts on this, or advantages to one over the other? I was given a black one.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:11 AM   #4

It probably depends on where you live. Here in the northwest heat isn't a problem. I worry about keeping it warm & dry enough. As long as you don't leave it in the car in direct sunlight, I really don't believe it'll matter. The given temperature range is 32- 104 F. I read in forum that they operate at far lower temperatures than that. I bet the camera can take any temperature that you can, as long as keep it dry.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:32 PM   #5

Thanks! I think I'll just keep the black since I can't wait to start playing with it after taking 2+ years to decide on one and we have a sunny day today, so I just have to get out and see what it can do!The store where this one came from can order a silver one, but I don't want towait any more. Maybe I can get a light colored case for it.

Time to unpack it!!:|

Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:59 PM   #6

I do not know what PP stands for, but I think these two latters refer to the country the corresponding model is produced for. The model on panasonic.co.uk is called DMCFZ20BB. In Germany it's DMCFZ20EG. My model is DMCFZ20EB (again, I do not know what that means, as does Panasonic Germany ), although I ordered the camera in a German online store.
mcfritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:26 PM   #7

:blah:Hi, Merry Christmas to you all. I sent an e-mail to Panasonic on excactly the same question and received a reply within 24 hrs! The "PP" doesn't mean a thing to you and me (the consumer) they say. It's an internal system designating different areas on the globe. Panasonic sells worldwide as you know. The "PP" is the designation for North America.

Hopefully this will answer your question. To be perfectly honest, I though that "PP" meant something like "plastic parts" and got a little concerned.
retinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:12 AM   #8

:G Thanks retinaman. I figured it wasn't anything significant if no one on here knew what it stood for.

I got the camera as a Christmas/birthday gift, so I never saw the box before that, even though I had decided on the cameraa couple of monthsago. It was a surprise since I had talked about buying it with gift money I had saved up. I almost bought it before Christmas, but decided to wait for a lower price. I guess I succeeded! Now I have a lot to learn, with this being my first digital. It should hold my interest for a long time.

I used a 35mm, slr for a long time and did black and white developing, but it has been over 15 years since I've done it, so I've forgotten a lot of my camera skills, not that this one will be the same exactly.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:04 AM   #9
al1

In fact silver reflects the light so in bright daylight there
would be interferences when you takes pictures.
Have you noticed that all professional cameras are Black ?

:-)

Over here in europe the denomination is FZ20E or FZ20EG plus S or K for silver and black

Hope this helps

Alain
al1 is offline   Reply With Quote