Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:47 PM   #11

yes. i'm still learning how to use it, and trying to remember the tricks of photography i learned shooting 35mm with my Pentax ME Super 10-15 years ago... so far, though, this FZ20 will do all that little Pentax would, and more! i love it!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:48 PM   #12

RDV, did you use digital zoom? i tried that last nite, and several of my shots came out a lot like yours. you can really notice the loss of image quality with the digital zoom, though...
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:30 PM   #13
RDV

Yes I did Squirl. about the best I could get withthe digital zoom. Just posted to see if I was in the ballpark with this shot. I've seem some really detailed shots of the moon on this forum but I think they used a teleconverter and post processing.
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:59 PM   #14

Great capture Squirl....about your problem, try the bobc and greenbaron's advices...thery're gonna help a lot.

I also have a moon shot....with my new FZ20..not as great as one that "Nancygabby" posted several weeks ago...but I catched the moon from a different angle...

Attached Images

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:55 PM   #15

Here is one at 48x. f8.0, 1/250, ISO 200. Straight out of the camera, just resized to post.

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:08 PM   #16

RDV wrote:
Quote:
Just posted this shot to compare to yours above. I'm new to photography and want to thank you guys for all the links for education. Shot this with FZ20 on about the same setting you used bobc. My shot has a yellow cast. Did you brighten your shot?

No. All mt shots posted on this site are straight out of the camera with only cropping or re-sizing (unless I specify it in my post).

What metering& AF modes are you using. I use the factory default. I think you need to consider DOF with moon shots, because you can focus on the center and not get the edges sharp. Think of it as a macro shot of a flower. You can get the flower sharp and things that are less than a foot away will be blurred.

If you focus on the moon center, the edges are probably hundreds of miles further away.

Use a small aperture (high f number), and factory default metering &AF modes. I also sometimes set sharpness to high and noise reduction to high (if using ISO 200 or above). And keep tweeking the shutter speed till you get it.

bobc
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:51 PM   #17

bobc, after a quarter million miles, i don't think any camera not attached to an astronomical telescope would be able to differentiate the focus/DoF between the center of the moon and the edges which, as you say, are farther away due to the curvature of the moon. For us here on ol' terra firma, with 12x zooms (or even 48x), there's no functional difference. The lens will be focused as close to infinity as these Leicas get, and the moon will simply appear as a flat disc to the lens. The fuzzy edges are probably more due to lighting and atmospheric diffraction, which makes it harder for the camera to "see" the edges of the disc.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:05 PM   #18

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
bobc, after a quarter million miles, i don't think any camera not attached to an astronomical telescope would be able to differentiate the focus/DoF between the center of the moon and the edges which, as you say, are farther away due to the curvature of the moon. For us here on ol' terra firma, with 12x zooms (or even 48x), there's no functional difference. The lens will be focused as close to infinity as these Leicas get, and the moon will simply appear as a flat disc to the lens. The fuzzy edges are probably more due to lighting and atmospheric diffraction, which makes it harder for the camera to "see" the edges of the disc.
I was just guessing at that because I get better results at the higher f numbers. I assumed that if the camera can focus on it, that the same DOF rules applied.

If it is a flat disc to the lense, why can you see the details of the craters?

Are you sure about what you are saying? I don't know, I'm just asking.

I'm no expert, but I got some pretty good moon shots.

Just trying to help out...:?

bobc
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:18 AM   #19

Fromthat distance, the camera doesn't distinguish the difference in depth of field. Except the very largest ones, the camera doesn't "see" the details of craters, etc. - it sees the shadows they create, and the different shades of light, and our eyes interpret those as details like crater rims, valleys, etc. Camera lenses, no matter how good, reach a point of "infinity" (remember the old 35mm zoom lenses? These are no different, they're just mounted in front of a different type of recording media), and once that point is reached, everything beyond it isin focus, and DoF doesn't matter much. Smaller apertures do yield better images, but it's not a DoF thing at that distance.

There are lenses, usually electro-optical, that canchange or perceiveDoFfrom distances of thousands of miles. Unfortunately for us, they're much too expensive for consumer applications -the only place they're used is on spy satellites.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:19 PM   #20
spy

I too did a bit of research before I bought the FZ20 and am having a ton of fun with it, learning at least one or two things a day on it. The shot I took of this pic I set the 'sharpness' to high; 'contrast' to high; 'saturation' to high and 'noise reduction' to high. Turned off 'white balance' and shot off several burst mode pics.

This pic was done with a tripod but I have many others shooting by handwith the shutter speedset tovery fast and with the stabalization mode turned on. Also this pic is full optical and digital zoom.

Spy
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote