Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:53 AM   #1

okay, so i'm a little slow... but how do all you experts get those marvelous shots of the moon?i try it, and all i get is a white ball in the middle of the picture. i've tried with different exposures, but it always gives me the same result... a blown-out white circle.

so.. what am i doing wrong? do i needto set the camera for shutter priority, and shoot with ashort exposure and wide open lens? shouldi try using all manual functions? seems to me i'm just missing something elementary here, and my fuzly li'l brain just isn't thinking of it...

Never mind... i think i figgered it out! this looks better!!
Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:48 AM   #2

Lolol when someone answers this then I too will have the answer.

I got a tripod last week and thought yipee here we go my first moon shots but when I looked on the puter all I had was a big white ball :?

John
Johnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:53 AM   #3

OK squirl033, good shot!!!!! Now what did you do??? I've had the same problem as Johnt....a big white ball as you also previously had. HELP please
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:32 AM   #4

interesting, i got an fz20 for christmas, and i just happen to have the exact same picture of the moon.

i also had the exact same problem with the moon turning out looking like a big, white glob. and being a total novice, i had no idea how to fix it. so i fiddled with the presets, no help. i fiddled with the manual controls, no help. then, in the manual, there's a short blurb about choosing spot metering (versus center-weighted, i guess) to take pictures of objects such as the moon. success.

edit: oh, and the tripod was essential. i tried taking the picture by holding the camera, but the results kept looking like a triple exposure. so i dragged the tripod out (it's just sort of a pain screwing in the adapter and then snapping into the tripod), and viola! but the results were well worth just a tiny effort.

tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:54 AM   #5

Manual mode, aperture f8.0, shutter speed 1/100, ISO 100,zoom 12x, cropped and re-sized, tripod used, 2 second timer used, auto white balance, IS off, factory default auto focus & metering settings.

Keep aperture high. If you get a slight red edge, keep stepping the shutter speed faster until it goes away.

Keep trying... Your doing good.

bobc

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:00 AM   #6

Thank you both.

Now where is that moon.

John
Johnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:45 AM   #7

I haven't got the red fringing anymore at f/5.6 (fz20); this allows for sharp handheld results

But now that I lately did some shooting at the stars, I reeeeeeally gotta go for some x1.7 or 2.0 teleconverter
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:38 PM   #8

The shot I got was from a tripod, camera set to full manual, f8 @ 1/250, ISO 100, 12x zoom. I used the timer to avoid causing any shake from pressing the shutter button.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:50 PM   #9

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
The shot I got was from a tripod, camera set to full manual, f8 @ 1/250, ISO 100, 12x zoom. I used the timer to avoid causing any shake from pressing the shutter button.
Is your camera an FZ20?
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:46 PM   #10
RDV

Just posted this shot to compare to yours above. I'm new to photography and want to thank you guys for all the links for education. Shot this with FZ20 on about the same setting you used bobc. My shot has a yellow cast. Did you brighten your shot?

Attached Images

RDV is offline   Reply With Quote