Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:31 AM   #1

Using a FZ20 & 5T lens, I am trying to figure out how far I can be from my subject using 12X zoom and still be able to focus clearly. The closest I can be to my subjects is about 2 feet. Will this lens allow me to focus at this distance? I have never used a close-up lens before so I am wondering, if you zoom out a little, will this allow you to stay back more from your subject or are you pretty much stuck to a set distance from your subject no matter how much you zoom in or out?

I will be shooting most of my pictures from around 2 feet away. Will the 5T work for me? I can't really get coser to my subject because I am taking pictures of corals in a reef tank and I stuck behind the glass Thank you!

P.S. Any other suggestions for taking close-up shots in a reef tank with an FZ20 would be greatly appreciated.
reefrelated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2

I'd say there is a pretty good chancethe 5t will focus from around 2ft away.I dont have the 5t but I do have +1 and + 2 diopter closeup lens which focus at about 32" and 20", respectively, at full zoom with my fz1. (Similar results would occur with the fz20.) The 5t - being +1.5 diopter - would probably focus at about 26" and capture about 6cm or so on the horizontal;perhaps more.

With my fz1 stacked with a dcr250 +8 diopter lens and c210 1.9x and tcon17 1.7x teles I can focus from about 26" away on a 3.5cm horizontal at full 12x zoom. Here is the setupand a shot at full zoom.

Olympus tcon17 + Oly c210 + Raynox dcr250 + FZ1

From 26" away at full 12x zoom

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:43 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply and I love the pictures of the bug. That is very helpful to me. If you were in my shoes and were taking pictures through glass at corals, what would you use to get close-up shots? I have 2 options as far as distance. I can either hold the camera with my hands right at the glass (which is recommended for aquarium photography) or use my new tripod and remote shutter. I bought both of these recently so I could do my tank photography with them but I have just come to realize that the FZ20 doesn't like to focus at full zoom on things that are within a 6' range. I didn't realize this when I asked for it for Christmas. I guess I am looking for input on what you or anyone would do if they were trying to get close-ups with this camera with a distance of 1'-3' as your focus range (1'-2' in hand & 2'-3' ona tripod).

I guess I jumped the gun a little. I did a lot research when picking out my second digital camera. I wanted something that I could pull out of the box, walk up to the tank, zoom all the way in and snap clear macro shots. The camera is no doubt incredible, I just need to find out what is going to work for my aquarium picks because at least 50% of my shots are taken of it. What would you use?

P.S. The tankmeasures 2 feet from front to back. There are corals almost touching the front glass and there are corals against the back glass. I need tight shots of all. Thank you!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:45 PM   #4

hahahah, if you bring that to the airport, they'll immediately arrest you, Fmoore :-)

But nice info in this one; I'me interrested in cutting some of the minimal 12x focus distance

Cheers, GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:50 PM   #5

Fred if I had a step ring what do you think would be the focus distance with that explorer set and the C210 . And would the step ring be 49 to 52mm?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:14 PM   #6

genece wrote:
Quote:
Fred if I had a step ring what do you think would be the focus distance with that explorer set and the C210 . And would the step ring be 49 to 52mm?
I'm not sure what your looking for here, Gene. The Explorer set consists of the dcr150 and dcr250. I think the 150 is a +4 diopter. I only have the +8 dcr250 but I do have a +4 single element close-up lens. When I stack those two together and mount the c210 on the front of that I get a focus distance of about 1'. This would be about the same as stacking the explorer set. As for step rings, you would need a 49-43mm to connect the 150 and the 250. Both have 43mm rear and 49mm front threads. You would then need a 49-52 to attach the c210.

With regard to the above tcon17, etal setup, if you use the canon tl55 in place of the tcon17 you get a focus distance of about 20". One of the nice things about the c210 is the ease of securing a 55mm dummy filter (break the glass out of an old 55mm filter) to its front end to allow stacking with an additional tele. File the dummy threads down slightly and pressure fit it on.

Reefman - You say "I just need to find out what is going to work for my aquarium picks because at least 50% of my shots are taken of it. What would you use?" You have a very special useage there. How much magnification do you need? It sounds like your best bet might be to get a very high mp camera and crop.

Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:43 PM   #7

Fred

You answered my question perfectly. I understand the C210 as I stack it with a tcon17 for tele shots. I also stack it with the raynox 2020 but it seems better to me with the tcon17.

Thanks
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:02 PM   #8

Gene - OK. I wasn't sure you had the tcon17 -or the c210 for that matter. I dont know if you're into macro shots but the dcr250 stacked with the tcon17/c210 does a pretty good job from 2' away though the depth of field isextremely shallow. With the fz1's 2mp there isn't the luxury of backing off on the zoom and cropping to get a better dof. Fun nevertheless. - Fred

Btw, did you ever come to grips with your wide angle dilemma?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:40 PM   #9

"Reefman - You have a very special useage there. How much magnification do you need? It sounds like your best bet might be to get a very high mp camera and crop."

Hmmm, I don't like the sound of that. I just got this camera for Christmas. I really enjoyed the pictures it has taken so far but most are of normal family Christmas functions (not aquarium). I was really hoping to make this camera work for me. I hope I didn't make the wrong descision. I thought I had done my homework. I really thought I was going to be able to aim this camera at the tank and zoom right in on any coral and get the nicest close-up shots. I'll be very honest, I am kinda bumbed. I bought a nicetripod, camera bag, extra battery,bigger high speed card, remote shutter, external flash with omni bounce,and I just purchased 55mm to 62mm adapter, a 5T lens, and stacking covers. All this in the past week.Ihope I can make this camera work for me. I'm in deep now. :?

Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:14 PM   #10

Reefer - I didn't mean to get you all shook up. Please don't drown yourself in your aquarium.;-) One of the first things you need to know about the fz series and macros is that beyond about 3x zoom the macro capabilty, as such, is essentially disabled. The use of a close-up lens such as the nikon 5t which you have on the way will greatly increase the macro capability so that you get macro functuionality throughout the zoom range. So at this point you really haven't seen what the camera can do. You will be very pleased with the addition of the 5t. I'm sure you will be able to focus at full zoom at close to 2' -beyond that with decreased zoom. Then, with the 5mp you will be able to magnifyeven further with cropping.

See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm The info there pertains to all fz cameras. Hang in there. That 5t will make all the diference.

Fred

Note: You doNOT need to have the camera in macro mode. Using manual or aperture/shutter priority will give you macro capability. For greatest depth of field, set the aperature to f/8 (ie,maximum).