Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:52 AM   #1

I'm considering the FZ3 and I'm wondering if I can use my B300 telephoto lense with it? If so, what do I need for an adaptor?
DianeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:58 AM   #2

The fz3 adpapter is 55mm as is the b300 so there is nothing else you need though I would recommend getting a 55mm metal uv filter ($25 at Ritz)and keeping it and the adapter on at all times for lens protection. This will also give you metal threads for attaching the b300 to thus reducing the amount wear on the plastic fz3 adapter threads. As you are aware, the b300 is quite heavy and sparsely threaded. Be carefulwith that connection.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:01 PM   #3

I have recently picked up an FZ20 for consideration. I tried my B300 on it and it would not focus lock sorry to say...

Yes, this was with conversion set to Tele.

FYI...

Coulda been the new operator of the FZ20, however!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:37 PM   #4

fmoore - thanks for your reply - I have the B300 from my Oly C2100 and would hate to buy a new lens.

digcamfam - don't you use the C2100 too? how are you liking the FZ20? as you can see from my post in the Oly section, I tried a new camera and I guess I am so spoiled that I was very unhappy.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:16 PM   #5

DianeR

First, I agree that the Oly 2100 is one tough act to follow. Like many here, I was

looking for a modernday version of that camera. So, I went to Oly, and was dumb

founded that they didn't have an IS version of the 700 series. Sadly, they just don't

get it. That left few choices. I ended up with an FZ 20, and I am very pleased. I can't

comment on the b300, but as digicamfan indicated the pictures with the conversion

lens attached and the camera set to conversion lens, the pictures aren't as good

as leaving the camera set to no lens. I must say this is also true of my older Sony

DSC-S75. Both cameras take better pics with the conversion lens setting off.

Just as an aside. My long time friend Angelo and wife just had their 2100 stolen while

visiting Montreal. He had this camera since 1999 and loved it. In his *****h for a

replacement, he ended up with an FZ20. Saw him at a retirement lunch last week,

he said he loved this thing, and it is definately a suitable replacement for the UZ1.

We just got our oldest son in Arizona an FZ3 for Christmas. He is thrilled with it, but

it's to soon yet to comment. I'm sure it will be fine.

Have a great Christmas / New Year. and good luck with your choice.

Larry B

Larry Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:26 PM   #6

Diane - I am also a convert from the uzi. I still have it and will NEVER part with it. I got the fz1 for its size and it is pure pleasure. All of my uzi lens including the tcon17 (ie, b300) and b-macro work beautifully with it and will also with the fz3 and no need for a step ring. The one thing I miss with the fz1 vs the c2100 is the focus assist lamp which the fz3 has as well as a stronger flash. Go for it and let us old uzi fans know how you like it. - Fred
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:01 PM   #7

Hi DianneR,

FYI...I gave my 2100 away to a good friend. He uses it all the time and swears by it.

So far, after about 72 hours, I must say I am in the minority on the Panasonic forum.

I amsomewhat underwhelmed with quality of pics from the FZ20 shooting at fine and at Tiff.However, it may just be my novice attempts

Currently, I have FZ20 set to sharp, not standard for sharpness.

I do very much like the 12x optical zoom and fast power on ala the Oly 2100uz.

Focus assist lamp works well also.

I will try the FZ20 and B300 again with the conversion lens setting to off. (It would not focus earlier with conversion lens setting to tele - "Jim, we are floating close to gimbal lock." Jim Lovell, Apollo 13)

It does work very well with my Olympus TCON-08 (wide angle) also.

I have the Pemerral 62mm adapter, not the Phayee (but my birthday is early next year, folks ).

I may still sell the FZ20...but I must give it a fair run...especially because there are many outstanding FZ20 pics arriving daily on the Panasonic forum!

Kudos to Normcar, Bobc and others who are truly accomplished FZ20 drivers!

Update: I did try the B300 again with Conversion Lens off and with and without manual focus. It would gain focus lock up to about 4X mag then would drift in and out of focus lock. Interestingly, it would focus dead on and then drift out of focus again.

Any ideas? :-)
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:33 PM   #8

digicamfan - I think the only purpose of the tele setting is to keep the zoom level above 6x in anticipation of vignetting. Undoubtedly you can decide that for yourself. I cant see how that setting would affect the focus. The fz20 w/ tcon17/b300 will not focus at closer than 17-18ft. With the the uzi and fz1/2/3 that combo focuses at about 10'.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:45 PM   #9

Ahhhhh......fmoore...you have helped me immensely. Thanks! :-)

I have been testing indoors (way less than 17-18 feet) with the B300.

Also, I did notice that I could not tele down below 6x in tele conversion mode now that I think of it...

Oy vey...mon dio...ah merde...ah well....

Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:39 PM   #10

Ok - here is my report :-)

I really really like the FZ3! The minute I started to play with it I could just tell I liked it. It has a nice light feel without feeling cheap. It fits nicely in your hand (well mine anyways). The menus are very easy and logical. I didn't need to read the manual at all. The extra control buttons are nicely placed as well.

Most importantly...the pictures are beautiful. Great sharpness and color saturation, no problems in relatively low light and the 12x IS zoom works like a charm...even with my shaky hands!

I can't speak for "advanced" photographers as I am not but for the casual user, this is more than an acceptable substitute for the C2100. As I put it through it's paces I will let you know if I change my mind.